Magic Box adaptor Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Magic Box adaptor Question

Just a question about the MagicBox joypad adaptor for the PC... can you actually use the D-Pad and analogue stick on a Dreamcast controller simultaniously on this pad? I remember various adaptors only let you use one or the other...

I don't think simultaneously.

Although I only use it for DC stick mame-ing.

Comment

I've used my DC stick via the magicbox for mame, but I'm trying a C64 emu and it doesnt seem to like it. It's like it's looking for the analogue stick on a pad for the direction input (I can only use the C64 fire button). Any ideas?

Comment

I found the magic box support for the DC analogue stick rather ****, it just won't calibrate properly. For the C64 I'd use a DC arcade stick really, if you have one that is, C64 games don't have analogue controls anyway.

Comment

Yeah, that's what I'm trying to do. But it won't let me setup the up,down,left,right buttons (essentially the stick bit of the arcade stick is just another 4 buttons) to control the C64 games. Can you give it a go and let me know if you have any luck?
          lots of emu links here: http://www.lemon64.com/links/index.php?genre=2

Comment

Ok, it took a little tinkering but I managed it. I used WinVice since that's my favourite C64 emu, and indeed it didn't want to recognise the stick. So I used a joystick emulator, JoytoKey which you can download at Zophar's . Setting it up is quite easy, but you have to realise the stick's directions are the following buttons:

Up = button 13
            Right = button 14
            Down = button 15
            Left = button 16
            Fire = any button you want

So you have to set JoytoKey to bind those buttons to keyboard keys, for instance the numpad keys and bind another button of your choice for the fire key, and leave the program running.

Set Winvice joystick settings to use keyset A and then just config keyset A and you will be able to set all the directions with your stick. Remember you may have to swap joystick in the options menu depending on the game, some C64 games use port 1 and others port 2.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Isn't it all about holding down the DC stick start button that changes it from Analog mode to Digital mode.

You must hold down for 3 secs. Try it a couple of times to see if you get results.

Comment

Nice work guys. I'll try the start button trick and if that doesnt work, Sane's tip oabout joytokey sounds like a goer.

Comment

Working...
                X