Wireless router/modem advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless router/modem advice

I am just moving into a new house and will be getting broadband from a BT line rather than the usual NTL which comes with a free cable modem, so I am going to get a wireless router/modem so that I can take advantage of one of the better broadband provider deals out there that don't provide hardware.... anyway, what do you peeps think of this device?

I want to be sure that it will be good if I want to go on bulldog broadband or whatever, and also is it going to be ok for connecting a psp to in the future.... and the xbox360 when it comes out??

cheers for any advice

I've got that exact model. Works like a dream for me. Haven't had any problems with it.

I did have a few incompatibility issues with a PC and a Netgear wireless card - but Netgear Tech Support were superb and sent out a new card.

Recommended, but I bought about 8 months ago.

Unfortunately I can't answer RE: PSP or 360, but I see no reason why not. It complies with all the usual standards.

Comment

sounds like a winner, thanks for the positive comment - anymore advice? I think the fact it is a 802.11g is good for at least the upcoming xbox, but I am not as sure about the psp and what it needs for netplay in the future???!

Comment

Yeah of course, 54Mbit should be fine, the real concern would be your external net connection but I expect 1Mbit with a good provider would be fine.

I'd be really suprised if there were any issues with using a PSP or 360. But it may be worth doing some research. There are of course 4 standard ethernet ports on the back of the unit if you experience some real trouble.

Key question - I assume you would be importing, but where from?

I think there may be a small difference between the Japanese wi-fi standard and the US/European one, something with the operating frequencies at the high end, but I think the difference is negligible, and I might also be talking rubbish.

Comment

I got the model before this was released, the DG824G. it runs ok. the only problem i had was that you had to reset the thing if you performed a transfer of a file over 200MB, between 2 computers on a wireless network. It was a recognised probelem which they said they were going to fix on the next model. might be best to check if they had.

Comment

Originally posted by gtskater
            Key question - I assume you would be importing, but where from?
            well i have a US PSP, but would get a PAL x360.... guess It'll be fine. Just so long as the modem is the right one for ADSL broadband, it's been so easy in the past just using the NTL cable modem they set up for you!

Comment

if you're concerned about that, then I can assure you there will be no problems. I use Pipex, but it would work with BT, Bulldog, and I would expect any ADSL provider.

Comment

Maybe consider signing up with Ukonline and their 8Mb connection (?29.99 a month).
                If you join them before 17 May, they will give you a free wireless ethernet router (actiontec)

Comment

the most i want to pay for broadband is around ?20 for a 600k/1M line - anyone know of any good providers out there? ukonline & pipex seem ok - 8M is really overkill for my needs thou - cheers people

Comment

can i to go to the internet with my psp in via usb

can i to go to the internet by my modem ethernet motorola sb5100 series with my psp?? i want to go to the internet directly by the modem...

psp---modem---psp

Comment

Working...
                    X