GameCube Video Display - Vertical Lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GameCube Video Display - Vertical Lines

This is no problem, I'm asking out of total curiosity. I'm using Saurian's modded RGB cable, but it does this with any cable (RCA, S-Vid...) and on all consoles I've tried it on (PAL ones too). There is a series of vertical lines on the video display of all the games. It's most noticeable on Eternal Darkness, if you turn the brightness in game up, but can be spotted easily on Zelda: WindWaker because of the flat colors.

This couldn't cause screen burn or anything could it?

Does it on my PAL GC with RGB cable as well. I have only noticed it on Wind Waker especially on the blue sea backgrounds. I am using a Sony Trinitron.

Comment

I get this too but on my US Cube - I'm using the cables supplied with the system to connect it to the TV

I've only noticed it when playing Zelda

At first I thought my TV was going tits up but it seems fine with every other console

Comment

PHEW thank god im not alone i thought it was a fault with my projection screen tv.

I noticed them on wind waker too, when your out to sea at night you can spot them very easy but during the day they dissappear.

No idea why they are there must be the way it was programmed???

Comment

Originally posted by importaku
          PHEW thank god im not alone i thought it was a fault with my projection screen tv.

I noticed them on wind waker too, when your out to sea at night you can spot them very easy but during the day they dissappear.

No idea why they are there must be the way it was programmed???
          Your not the only one whos relieved. This has been playing on my mind ever since Zelda was launched in Japan last year. I never asked anyone because i was afraid the answer i was going to get i wouldn't like.

I don't think its anything to do with the programming though because the same effect shows up on Mario Sunshine ever so slightly when Mario is dragged into the 'M's. I've only seen it a couple of times, but its definitely there.

Comment

Speaking of mario sunshine have you ever noticed that when the fmv plays wherever there is red on the screen it appears really grainy and shoddy looking, when i had my little portable tv i never noticed its only since i upgraded to a bigger screen i noticed the really bad grainyness.

I thought it might be my video cables but im using a official nintendo component cable through the component connections on my tv, not progressive scan just normal interlaced mode.

Comment

I've not noticed in Mario myself, but you can usually expect reds and some shades of blue to look worse than other colours. For some reason in a video signal these are more noisy than other colours.

Comment

I had this happen to me when I was using the rgb cable on my gamecube,now i am using svideo,it has totally dissapeared.It does happen on my tv up the stairs with s video,my tv downstairs is totally multi region,it even accepts ntsc through the rf socket,so I think this may have something to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nintendomad
                  I had this happen to me when I was using the rgb cable on my gamecube,now i am using svideo,it has totally dissapeared.It does happen on my tv up the stairs with s video,my tv downstairs is totally multi region,it even accepts ntsc through the rf socket,so I think this may have something to do with it.
                  I get it when using the RGB cable (From Suarian) shows mostly on Zelda. 6 Vertical stripes.

On the SHVS cable it doesn't show, but teh colours are less bright

Comment

I have seen it on all 3 cables, but because RGB has a clearer picture it's easier to spot with this.

Speaking of mario sunshine have you ever noticed that when the fmv plays wherever there is red on the screen it appears really grainy and shoddy looking,
                    Yup, those are MPEG-2 compression artefacts. The cutscenes don't seem very well compressed at times...

Anyway, glad this has relieved some people. I see the lines quite a bit, especially on Zelda, but I'm not that bothered. Must just be some side-effect of the hardware.

Comment

So just to clafify; There is no version of Zelda, anywere that is free of this problem? Has it been corrected for in later releases?

Comment

It isn't the game, it's the machine. Seems to have a fairly weak video sync level which is the only reason your getting the screen bending. It's internal and thats why it's happening on every video cable you try.

Comment

Working...
                        X