monitors - CRT or LCD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

monitors - CRT or LCD?

Ok looking at getting a replacement for my very basic 17" lcd.

now here's the thing! the main draw for me with lcd is the ability to use dvi-d connection, with that in mind i have 4 main questions

1, what is the main difference between vga and dvi(thats actually noticeable on screen?

2,space is not an issue so would it be better to purchase a decent crt set at less than half the price?

3,what is the best crt on the market for around the ?300 mark

4,running at 1600x1200 is vga adequate as some crt's have res up to 2000+x1500+(with vga)

all info is appreciated!!

About four months ago I bought a Hyundai L90D+ 19" TFT and I've been very impressed by it.

However I'd point you in this direction:
    Ok, here it is, hopefully THE FAQ and review thread for all the TFT’s which are available at the moment! This will also save the same old questions popping up daily……..hopefully! I want to thank all those people on the forums who have shared their opinions over the last couple of years...

Comment

I had a 19" Iiyama CRT for 2years and it made me ill. CRT's can cause nausea, dizziness, double vision and sickness. They emit a lot of radiation- and the way the screens work can make people sick.

I had to get rid of it- and bought a 17" LCD instead. Since having the new screen I never get dizzy or feel sick using it- I could never go back to CRT.

DVI input is supposed to make things a bit sharper- but I didn't notice anything significantly better about it. I guess all LCD's are different though- some will work much better with DVI- but it's not a big issue!

I would recommend buying a good LCD. Have a look at www.pcpro.co.uk

Comment

i'd go tft if i was u as you can get some very good screens now that can be used for gaming etc

i've noticed that i dont get headaches anymore using a tft screen

Comment

Without question I'd go for the TFT. Like Kingston says, I've never really noticed any difference with DVI but other people I know swear they could never go back. Might be worth trekking along to PC World and comparing a couple of monitors side by side (while of course buying elsewhere).

Comment

Avoid Overclockers (forum link) like the plague - bunch of cowboys. Check out www.chillblast.com instead.

I always swear by TFT. It does have its flaws, but overall I do much prefer them. Being flicker-free is nice too.

Comment

www.aria.co.uk are good for TFT's also, I use both TFT and CRT's and must admit to TFT's being "softer" on the eyes, especially if using for an hour or more say.

Comment

Yeah I can recommend Aria for a TFT monitor. I bought mine in Novement and if I remember I've seen the price take a nose time to like ?105+VAT or something...

Comment

Originally posted by Lyris
                  Avoid Overclockers (forum link) like the plague - bunch of cowboys. Check out www.chillblast.com instead.

I always swear by TFT. It does have its flaws, but overall I do much prefer them. Being flicker-free is nice too.
                  That link went to a very useful huge faq. Had a load of reviews and comparisons done in it.

Comment

Been looking for a TFT myself, haven't noticed prices dropping much on anything suitable for games playing, (low response time etc.) Most of the links, apart from overclockers one, which was very useful and probably sold me on a Viewsonic VP191b 8ms, have very limited choice. (and not cheap)

Comment

Lyris, why do you say the ocuk forums are bunch of cowboys as theres one guy on there username badass and he knows a lot about tft monitors and has written a good guide on them

Comment

Originally posted by wod
                        Lyris, why do you say the ocuk forums are bunch of cowboys as theres one guy on there username badass and he knows a lot about tft monitors and has written a good guide on them
                        I think he's on about overclockers as company.

Comment

Looking at getting a TFT myself actually...
                          From what I gather, 17" TFT's run at 1280x1024, right?

Now here's the thing... a large amount of the screens at PCWorld (I'm gonna buy this thing offline, easier to return) seem to run at 16ms response rate. Yet I have it hammered into my head by friends that I should be looking at a screen running at 12ms. Is there much of a difference? I mean, I don't play PC games really, but I still don't want to be left stuck for the rare occasions I do play PC games, y'know. Monitors are long-term purchases, wanna get it right.

Comment

this is from a recent review tomshardware made for tft monitors

" As far as vendors' specifications about LCD panel latency go, we've heard it all - claims of 25 ms that tested out to 130 ms; a manufacturer's latency value claim of 8 ms that only did just better than 25 ms; 12 ms panels that are less responsive than 20 ms ones and so on. So understandably, we've learned to mistrust manufacturer specifications, to the point that we now check the actual latency of LCD monitors ourselves. For a detailed look at how we test latency, see LCD's 17" and Larger Reviewed. "

Comment

I was eyeing this one http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/374_228320.html

Only problem is it seems to be analog (VGA) only, no DVI... is this really a big deal?

Comment

Working...
                              X