ddr ram - the best?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ddr ram - the best?

ok guys whats the best ddr ram you can buy(not ddr2) at the moment for gaming??was looking at the crucial expert 1gb setup with 2-5-2-2 timings, but are there any other recommendations?

looking to pay max ?175

corsair 3200 xl will do that timing at default 3200 ddr speed and is 135quid on www.overclockers.co.uk

Comment

You'll notice sod all difference using timings as tight as that. The only reason to get decent ram like that (imo) is if you plan to overclock it.

If you plan on running it at pc3200 speeds, then forking out that much for memory is probably the worse value upgrade you could get. Get some geil value and you'll be laughing (and will notice really very, very little difference in performance, if any. We're talking less than 1 fps at a massive saving)

My Partriot memory does 280mhz at 2.5-3-3-7 - and is great value if you're planning on overclocking. Raw speed is always preferable over timings.

Comment

I reckon that http://www.crucial.com/uk/ is the best. They have great service and a lifetime warranty on all their RAM. You can't lose!

Comment

crucial is only decent for oem builds , home use as there ballistix ram is rubbish

Comment

Geil value ram can be bought on overclockers.co.uk for about 70 quid, or if you're feeling greedy you could get 2gb for 140 ish. Probably not a good choice for overclockers, but at stock speeds I really doubt you'd see any difference between more expensive options.

Comment

Originally posted by Hohum
              Probably not a good choice for overclockers, but at stock speeds I really doubt you'd see any difference between more expensive options.
              The Geil value overclocks pretty well ;-)
              The best value though is the Geil platinum PC4000 dual channel kit for ?117.
              Has low latency at standard 200 speeds and still quite good 2.5 7-4-4 @250.

Comment

yeah but that isn't tccd ram which would better as it doesn't need volts to do high clock speed. that geil ram you mention is probably a variate of the bh5 chips which need volts to do decent timings

Comment

I`ve got some decent ram that I bought on the offchance it would work in an HP media center, which it didn`t as you can`t adjust any memory settings in the machine bios doh. Its been tested in a Dell workstation, and an Athlon 64 machine ok.

Its Mushkin Blue 1GB (2x512MB) PC3200 CL2 (codes on the stick are 990992 4292564 030705 G N) and I paid ?100 plus a fiver postage, so if I get ?80 inc. P&P its yours. Pm me if interested.

Comment

Working...
                  X