Ibook screen problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ibook screen problem

I have an ibook thats less than 6 months old and the screen has become broken.
    The picture has almost complety gone although it can ca faintly be seen in very bright light, anything obvious that I may have overlooked? I've adjusted the brightness so its not that.

I've been looking on aplles web site but can't find a number to call for incidents like this the only one i've seen that relative says

"Technical Support Options
    To get technical support over the phone, please call 0870 876 0753 (UK) or 1850 946 191 (Ireland). Lines are open Monday-Friday 0800-2000 and Saturday 1000-1800. If your product is within its 90-day complimentary support period or covered by an AppleCare Protection Plan, you will not have to pay for the support. Otherwise, you may purchase per-incident support for ?35 (UK) or ?47.19 (Ireland)."

so as I dont have applecare and its older then 90 days will I be charged?

If it has to be sent away would I be eligable to pay the postage?
    Any help is apreciated

Hi Mate,

From your description of the problem it sounds as though the backlight on the monitor has gone.

Did you buy the iBook new? If so then the hardware should be covered for 12 months under warranty by Apple (unless its changed since I bought my iBook). Check your warranty card that came with the machine. If your machine is under warranty then you wont have to pay for a thing. Apple will arrange to pick up the machine, repair it and deliver it back.

If the machine is not under warranty then you will have to pay for the repair and shipping etc.

Best thing to do get all your warranty information and receipt etc. (for the purchase date) and phone the Apple support phone number. They will get you to try various things that may help including running the hardware test CD that came with the computer (look it out before phoning). Apart from that, you just have to go through the motions until they are satisfied that it is a hardware problem and they arrange to get it picked up.

One last thing. Apple only offer 90 day support for software. If you phone up the Apple support line and it turns out to be a software (or OS) problem rather than hardware, they may charge you (if the machine is older than 90 days).

Hope that helps.

-weresheep

EDIT: - Eh? Why is my text so wee?

Comment

Thanks for the response I did buy it new so it's still under warranty, like you say I think the back light has gone ( the best way I could describe how it looks is like the original gba when in very bad light, but much worst) is the support number just the one I posted earlier.

Comment

Hi again,

I can't remember if the phone number you posted is the same phone number as is supplied with the warrenty information but I would imagine they could transfer you if its not.

Good luck.

-weresheep

Comment

Found the nuber and the guy told me that I'd have to take it to teh nearest apple place which he gave me details for as apparently apple don't do the repairs at one main place like they used to or something.

Comment

I've found out where the apple service centre is that the guy on the phone told me about but it's pretty inconvienient for me to get there, as I don't drive and taking the ibook on the bus in an area I don't know that well isn't too pleasing.

If I phone apple back and explain will they offer the chance for me to send it away to be fixed?

Looking round the internet to get a bit more information about the problem it seems that alot of people are having problens with their ibooks at the moment for some reason.

Comment

To be honest I'm not sure. When I had problems with my iBook Apple arranged to get it picked up and delivered from my work. That was in 2003 though. It may be Apple have changed their policy about this. Seems a little strange that the customer has to foot the travel bill for a machine under warranty

I don't suppose it will do any harm to give them another phone to explain the situation and see if they can be a bit more flexible.

Not really much more I can say. Hope you get it sorted.

-weresheep

Comment

I phoned again and after finally getting through the guy said that to send it away was no longer an option with the ibook. He then went on to tell me about service centres even further away.

The closes one is only 4 miles away but when i've got to get 2 buses or a taxi to get there I'm not very impressed so I could spen ?40 on a taxi to take it in and then pick it up once its fixed.

Comment

My iBook G4 HDD died 2 weeks after warranty ran out this March, and Apple told me I had to take it to the nearest centre to be repaired.
                  It was about 50 miles away. JOY.

Oh, if you screen goes out of warranty, get your ass ready, its about ?700 to get replaced/fitted last time I asked. Yup, as much as a new machine.

Comment

its only four miles, walk or get a buss

Comment

Sorry to hear that mate. Seems **** that you have to take it to the repair centre yourself when its under warranty.

Whilst I love the iBook format and find OS X a really great environment, I don't think I'll purchase another Apple computer. They just don't seem to be reliable enough and it now seems they treat you like crap when you claim on a warraty issue.

What a shame

-weresheep

Comment

Working...
                      X