Low Heat 300Gig+ HDD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low Heat 300Gig+ HDD

Basically, I'm looking for a new HDD for PS2. Obviously with such little space in the PS2, heat is a major issue, so I'm looking for a low heat drive. I'm currently considering -

Maxtor 6B300R0 Diamondmax 10 300GB 7200rpm ATA133 16mb Cache

or

Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 300gb, Ata100 3.5lp 8ms 7200rpm 8mb

Obviously the Maxtor one is better, being ATA133 and having 16Meg cashe, but I have been informed that Seagate drives run cooler.

What do ou guys think?
    Last edited by sj33; 02-06-2005, 18:01.

Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33
    Obviously the Maxtor one is better, being ATA133 and having 16Meg cashe, but I have been informed that Seagate drives run cooler.
    The larger cache on the Maxtor might make some difference, but the fact that its ATA-133 is unlikely to count because the PS2 and its disc controller were made before ATA-133 discs existed. Its pretty unlikely it will even take advantage of ATA-100.

You'll probably find more information than you really want about those drives over at http://www.storagereview.com/ including heat and noise ratings.

Comment

As HDloader only goes to 120MB and HDadvance to 200MB, no point in getting a 300MB drive surely?
      Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

you can use unbranded sony hdd on the ps2? i never knew this

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem
          As HDloader only goes to 120MB and HDadvance to 200MB, no point in getting a 300MB drive surely?
          Actually the latest unofficial hacked HDLoader supports drives of any size, more games, DVD9 games...

But I use ToxicOS anyway - the official continuation of HDLoader for DMS4 Pro mods.

Stock HDLoader and HDAdvance are long outdated.

Comment

Fair enough. Aside from God of War and Gradius V, everything else I have for the PS2 loads fine on my HDD with HDA.
            Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Anyone tried Hitachi drives?

I've been informed by one or two people on PS2HD.com that these are a good choice. But they only go upto 250Gig (supposedly they go for quality rather than quantity, though I take that with a pinch of salt).

Comment

IMO, I think heat isn't that much of an issue as long as you have the PS2 sitting on a hard surface. I personally have a Samsung 160GB SP-something and it's given me no problems at all.

The criteria I would pick a PS2 (or Xbox) hard drive for are storage size and noise.

Samsung and Seagate make the quietest drives. I think Maxtor and Hitachi are about average.

Comment

I'm awaying towards the Seagate, everyone seems to agree that Maxtor's are hot and loud.

Never used a Samsung, but I've not really seen them for sale, either.

Comment

Some Hitachi drives are actually rebranded IBMs, which you should steer well clear of because of their dubious quality.

Comment

Working...
                    X