Some help with exim linux heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some help with exim linux heads

We have exim running on our debian (sarge) box here, and I'd noticed that it was making Gigs of logs which was killing the space. I can manually delete the logs (although rm doesn't like the sheer number of files so i have to pass an ls thru xargs and do it that way). I've been reading the exim docs, and it seems there is a flag 'message_logs' which I can set to false, but I'm stumped as to how to do it. I'm presuming it's a makefile change (bit late now) but I wanted to see if there was another way to do it than rebuilding it.

Any ideas?

Yo

I've never used exim before, but I'm unemployed and have nothing to do, hence I googled for a bit and found these snippets.

===============
    Just disable the logging:

Add this line to your /etc/exim.conf (Use the editor in WHM or Cpanel will overwrite your additions during updates)

message_logs = false

Restart exim: /etc/init.d/exim restart
    ====================

I also found this, changing the perms would 'bodge' it too

====================
    When you change the permission of /var/spool/exim/msglog directory to 0 the only message you see in your exmin_mainlog is "cannot write to directory" this way, server load goes down a bit.

I did it before and it worked.

Do it at your own risk.
    ====================

hope this helps, if so, thanks for curing my boredom for a bit

Comment

ahh, I searched for it in exim.conf and couldn't find it, ol' spazzy head here didn't think of adding it.

Cheers.

Comment

Actuallly scratch that, I can't find where to put it in the .conf file. It seems to be fussy as to where it goes in.

Comment

Working...
        X