hard-drive not showing files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hard-drive not showing files

one of my hdd's is now only showing a portion of the files that are on it - over 100 gig of files has disappeared into who knows what and yet the drive is still showing as full

any help would be appreciated

its a SATA drive which is only a month old

ffs

rebooted pc twice and they appeared back on the 2nd time

bloody thing

Comment

Time to back up me thinks, i had this problem with my laptop and lost **** loads of photos.

Comment

Yup. Rescue as much as you can NOW.

Or if the contents are particularly precious - stop accessing the drive (ie turn it firmly off) and send it to a specalized data recovery place.

Comment

Originally posted by huxley
          Time to back up me thinks, i had this problem with my laptop and lost **** loads of photos.
          I'm with you on that one, lost too much data when i knew a HDD was on its way out. Never got round to backing it all up.

Comment

its a brand new hdd though - can't be on its way out yet

Comment

Back it up anyway and run some diagnostics tools on it. It wouldn't be the first time a new drive has broken.

If it is faulty, sent it back and got a replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by John Beaulieu
                its a brand new hdd though - can't be on its way out yet
                That's why we have "burn in" period on all the HDD disks for servers/SAN's/NAS's, before they go into production

Always in the first few weeks the buggers will go. That or 1 day before the hardware is due to be phased out some years later...

So you need more disks to backup your disks, and streamers to backup your disc backups.... sorry bit OT:

Anyway John B, the point is, when the disk is new, there is a certainly a chance of failure.

Contact your supplier.

C_S

Comment

back up your data and run a surface scan of the disk ("scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors"). it'll take *forever* but it sounds like you need to do it...

if you've got any errors on the disk & it's new, send it straight back... after you delete all that pr0n, natch!

Comment

check you are using the right BIOS addressing mode, and the partitions are properly laid out

are you dual booting with any other OS's ? I've seen this 'vanishing files' problem before, where two partitions basically overlap, and the OS running at the time messes up the others partitions. anyway..

Comment

Are you running winblows? :P

Comment

Im not very tech minded but I`ve got a 120 gig drive on a USB external setup and back up all my music and photos to that. Im so paranoid Ill **** something up on my lappy playing games etc that I`ll lose the lot again

Comment

Working...
                        X