Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Saturn - Switchless region, 50/60hz, mod-chip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saturn - Switchless region, 50/60hz, mod-chip?

Hey guys,

I want to do some quality Saturn gaming, and I need to do some quality Saturn modding, firstly, is it possible to combine all three Saturn mods together? i.e. Saturn switchless region, 50/60hz and mod-chip to play backups; or would any of these conflict with each other?

I heard that the region mod and mod-chip mod may conflict?

Also, ive seen the switchless region mod on gamesx.com but it seems it is written from an American perspective and I dont think it would work on my PAL Saturn?

Does anyone know exactly how the mod would be carried out on a UK PAL Saturn? I can get the logic IC no problem, but I cant really decipher their jumper table - it seems they are modding it to play US / JAP games, does this mean that with that mod (for a US saturn?) it wont play PAL games?

If anyone could help me out id be really grateful

seeing 50/60Hz and Country switches act independently on my PAL Saturn I'd guess they won't conflict each other... for the chip I think it won't matter since all it does is bypassing the security ring check on booting nothing more...

saying that never tried the switchless mod so can't tell you for sure...

Comment

Hmm I may try the switches.. thanks.. does anyone else have any input?

Comment

Last time I looked at the GamesX mod it was only a US/JP mod, so it's no good for UK games as well. Try this page instead for a 3-region mod:

I don't see how you can easily do a switchless mod if you need to select between 3 regions rather than just the 2 detailed on GamesX.

Comment

So is it possible to do all 3 without them clashing?

Comment

Yeah, no problem at all.

I was thinking about it earlier, I guess you could combine the switchless mod with a DPDT switch - you could use the switchless mod to toggle between US/JP regions, and the other switch to toggle between UK and 50/60Hz.
            Bit fiddly though, I'd probably just go with 2 separate switches.

Comment

yep!
              two switch would be better...
              you can also put the switch at the side, not in front like I did...
              and make sure to get the smallest switch you can find - I used the ones I have and it's rather big for my taste... I've been thinking of fixing that up when I come across clean looking junk saturn for its shell...

Comment

I always used to use 2 DPDT switches when I modded Saturns - splitting up the jumpers between the 2, it went like this:

Switch 1 (vid being the 50/60hz select jumper)
                5v ------- 0v
                (vid) ----- jp12/13
                0v ------- 5v

Switch 2
                5v ------- 0v
                jp10/11 -- jp6/7
                0v ------- 5v

This gives you:
                switch 1 ----- switch 2
                ENG --------- 50hz
                JPN ---------- 60hz
                (ENG + 50hz = UK, ENG + 60hz = USA, JPN + 60hz = JPN, JPN + 50hz (not used) *to select UK with 60hz, boot with ENG + 50hz then switch to 60hz once the machine starts up.

Comment

I've got a mk1 pal unit that's 50/60 switch, region AND modchip and works perfectly fine.

It's actually for sale so PM me if you're interested

Comment

Working...
                  X