Power Supplies!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power Supplies!

Yesterday my machine fried. Luckily enough it was only the power supply. It turns out it was my Radeon 9800, these things are bitches for power will regularly cane the +12V limit on most power supplies. What I need is a power supply which'll allow me to exceed that limit (i.e one with two 12V lines) and not blow up if exceeded. I've got a Gigabyte motherboard with a 3000XP, couldn't tell you off hand whether its the 20pin/24pin ATX connector, although I understand that the majority of power supplies will feature a connector so both are supported.

Any recommendations?
    Last edited by mash; 21-06-2005, 10:38.

Anything by Antec, Neopowers are good. Avoid Q-Tech like the plague...

Comment

Thats strange with me if i had a power supply that could not cope then usually i would get crashes through playing games and general instability i have been told to get power supplys of 450watts + think ebuyer had a few good ones 500watt +

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy
        i have been told to get power supplys of 450watts + think ebuyer had a few good ones 500watt +
        You won't need anything of that power rating if you buy a quality (i.e. NOT Ebuyer branded!) PSU mate. Got a 430watt Antec Truepower in mine and its been rock solid for the last 12 months, turned on more or less 24/7...

Comment

Originally posted by jon bda
          You won't need anything of that power rating if you buy a quality (i.e. NOT Ebuyer branded!) PSU mate. Got a 430watt Antec Truepower in mine and its been rock solid for the last 12 months, turned on more or less 24/7...

nahh i didnt get a ebuyer own brand i got a antec 480watt i was very suspiciuos about ebuyers ones being so much cheaper

Comment

you say that, I have ebuyer 500W one in a PC at home, cost about ?14 runs following fine;

2 hard drives, 1gb memory, 3000XP and 6600GT, DVDRW and all the normal gubbings. It's nice and quiet too.

Comment

Originally posted by jon bda
              Anything by Antec, Neopowers are good. Avoid Q-Tech like the plague...
              Unless you have good house insurance and feel like moving.

/C_S

Comment

Cheers for the replies guys. I'm thinking of going for this Badboy what do you think?

Comment

nononono, get at least 400w, and something with a minimum 20amps on the 12v rails. tagan are great!

Comment

Originally posted by AlwaysAce
                    nononono, get at least 400w, and something with a minimum 20amps on the 12v rails. tagan are great!
                    It's a 480W power supply with

Over current Protection
                    +3.3V: 55A (max)
                    +5V: 48A (max)
                    +12V1 & +12V2: 20A (max)

Have you seen anything better/Cheaper ?

Comment

Originally posted by AlwaysAce
                      nononono, get at least 400w

Comment

Originally posted by DavidHolliss
                        you say that, I have ebuyer 500W one in a PC at home, cost about ?14 runs following fine;

2 hard drives, 1gb memory, 3000XP and 6600GT, DVDRW and all the normal gubbings. It's nice and quiet too.
                        Hehe, how much of your lovely PC will be left if it decides to go pop though?.

Comment

Tagan TG480-U01 480W ATX2.0 SLi Compliant Silent PSU (CA-000-TG)

Leading the way in bespoke PC systems and PC gaming, any and all of your components & peripherals needs are met with our vast range of products and services.

That model is on that page for ?59. The only thing I can comment on is the fact that I have had absolutely no problems and my CPU is overclocked, GPU is overclocked and memory is overclocked. Custom PC also gave it the best power supply award.

Comment

Originally posted by demon9k
                            Tagan TG480-U01 480W ATX2.0 SLi Compliant Silent PSU (CA-000-TG)

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Tagan.html

That model is on that page for ?59. The only thing I can comment on is the fact that I have had absolutely no problems and my CPU is overclocked, GPU is overclocked and memory is overclocked. Custom PC also gave it the best power supply award.
                            Can i recommend Kustom PC's instead of overclockers though?, they tend not to do very well with customer satisfaction.

Comment

Working...
                            X