External Hard Drives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

External Hard Drives

Im wanting to move all my MP3s (160gb +) onto an external, portable hard drive, and am looking at this baby - http://www.lacie.com/uk/products/product.htm?pid=10586 - wondering if anyone has used this and have any thoughts. Ill hook it to my Mac Mini which AFAIK uses Firewire 400. Scan have a 300GB Maxtor which is also nice, and a little bit cheaper.

Whenever I buy a new HD, I always think to how it seems like yesterday that I was paying around 200 quid for a "massive" 20GB hard drive.

Yeah I am looking into getting an external next, they are so cheap and the USB2/Firewire ones are pretty fast, I always think that it was funny that the 40mb ones where cheap at ?200 or so only 10 years or less back

Comment

I've got one of the Lacie Porsche 200GB firewire drives. It's nice - the fan isn't too loud but given the TINY firewire cable it comes with I haven't hid it under the desk, where it wouldn't be heard, so I only switch it on when I need it. If you don't have your computer on your desk but on a shelf or whatever, it'd be fine. Also, the noise is slightly dependent on the drive inside the casing they've chosen - no idea what that is.The Porsche has an on-off switch and TWO FW400 ports - so you can daisy chain; my iPod dock goes into the back of it.

I've been pleased with my Lacie, which I'm mainly only using for backup, big audio files and my iTunes library (because I don't need my tunes on my laptop when I'm out of the house) right now.

One big thing: don't start using it out of the box; open Disk Utility and reformat it as HFS+ (as opposed to NTFS). Whilst OSX can read/write NTFS, it's not very reliable and could break somewhere along the way... Mac HFS+is much safer.

Other than that, looks fine to me. Mac Mini is FW400, which (for someone whose mac doesn't have USB2) is fine; transfer of about a gig a minute usually. Also, will work out of the box. Personally, I'd go for the Lacie, but that's just me

Comment

I've gone for the 2.5" inch Lacie drive (http://www.lacie.com/uk/products/product.htm?pid=10558). They only go up to 100GB, but it's so convenient for carrying around.

Comment

Working...
        X