Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gamecube Prog Scan

Hi all,

I've recently bought a 32" LCD tv for, amongst other things, some prog scan gaming
    I got a component cable for my PS2, but I'm not finding the picture to be anything special (plus I only have a couple of games that support prog scan anyway).

I've also recently acquired a modded xbox and high def pack, but have no games that support prog scan (and there aren't really any that I'm interested in right now). I've tried the media player to play DVD's at 720p etc, but can't see any real improvement over my old DVD player.

So I'm now looking at buying a Gamecube with the Digital AV port and a component cable, as I've noticed Play Asia are selling them. My question is: is it worth it?
    I already have a US Gamecube and an S-Video cable, and don't know if it's worth spending another ?150 or so on a new cube and cable if the picture is only going to be marginally better.

I think I've pretty much already talked myself out of it, but was just wondering if anyone can offer some opinions on the quality of Gamecube prog scan output and the improvement over an S-Video connection.

Cheers

VP

got to admit, out of all the consoles i have hooked up via component, the gamecube gives the best picture on my setup. windwaker, resi 4 (especially this), mario sunshine etc all look amazing, a real step up in quality.

tbm.

Comment

Go for the component. Friend of mine couldn't believe the difference from her old connection when seeing it. She got her cable from LikSang as well.
      Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

I'd agree, GC looks great in progressive scan, better than PS2 to me...

Comment

Must point out that a lot of TVs can't show a NTSC prog scan signal in 4:3 ratio, widescreen modes only - so any non-widescreen games get stretched (Winning Eleven is near-impossible to play like this)

Other than that GC Prog Scan is lovely.

Comment

crt progressive tv's are best for the current generation of progressive scan(480/525p), as their resolutions are exactly right for that picture display.

lcd's are different as they have to upscale the picture to fir the lcd high resolution screen.

the gamecube seems to be by far the best at coping with high res plasma/lcd though at least in 480p.

For a REAL demo of how true 720p will look get an xbox modded and buy a high def pack, buy amped 2 and run it in 720p(which is usually the native resolution for most lcd's)and pick your jaw up off the floor.

remember that dvd's that you buy at the moment, even when run at so called 720p in media center are actually just upscaled standard dvds that are not really any different from standard apart from windows will do a slightly better job of upscaling than the tv will.

Good luck, and please try amped 2 via high def pack.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. A new cube and component cable are now on their way to me

AlwaysAce - I might have to give Amped 2 a try then, although I've never really been a fan of snowboarding games (except for Snowboard Kids)

Comment

Originally posted by Vestan Pance
                Thanks for the responses. A new cube and component cable are now on their way to me

AlwaysAce - I might have to give Amped 2 a try then, although I've never really been a fan of snowboarding games (except for Snowboard Kids)
                please do mate, it'll be worth it just to show you how truly great the high definition era will be!!! plus its a fabulous snowboarding game that totally converted me!!

the other game which is FAR better in 720p mode is freedom fighters!!

enjoy mate.

Comment

Working...
                X