I think I destroyed my DC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I destroyed my DC

Last night my recently acquired Jap DC turned up. I already had a step down whatsit ready for when it arrived, but in the confusion and excitement I switched the console on with the standard mains lead for a PAL DC, that had got tangled around the other lead at the back. Hence it blew up and smoke came out of it. Have I completely destroyed it, or is there a way to repair it? Please help. I feel so stupid, angry and disappointed.

Saved!

Comment

Result!

Comment

If you're still too excited to wait for a new power supply to arrive, you can fit a PAL DC PSU to your JP DC.

Comment

I have a spare 110 DC PSU you can have mate but your probably better off getting that one,no need for a stepdown then.

Its here anyway.

Comment

If you go the PAL (240v) replacement route, make sure you label the plug socket somehow.

Comment

I did the same thing to my JPN N64 back in '96. Ooh the pain. I got it fixed but I felt like a tit at the time.

Comment

hopefully the actual dreamcast bit is ok and hadn't been exposed to the high voltage for too long... (sorry to dampen the mood, but it's best to be prepared for the worst)

Comment

Am going to order this thing - however, what does it look like and what am I going to have to do to fit it?

Comment

I changed mine over mate. its very simple. A few screws,out with the old and in with the new.

It'll look like a longish narrow circuit board with a load of components on it (pretty accurate everyone?)

Comment

Yep - to the left of the drive unit, isn't it? 2 screws and a see-thru plastic wire tidy removed and you're done.

Comment

I bet I will still manage to mess it up.

Oh well - I will give it a go!!!

Comment

You've got a PAL DC as well, haven't you Sean? I'd recommend you take the power board out and test it in the JPN machine before you throw what could be good money after bad if the mainboard has fried as well.

Comment

I have got 2 PAL DCs so may as well try that first. That is a good idea.

Need easy to understand diagrams though, lads!

Comment

mid speaks the truth.

If it works, then clean the power pins while you are at it, to prolong the time it takes before it starts resetting itself by a year. Let me know if you want me to take a photo to show you what to do.

Comment

Working...
                              X