US SNES power query: part 73

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US SNES power query: part 73

Yes, I know this topic has been done to death in the past, but reading through some of the older threads on the subject has made me even more confused. So...

Sick of playing my US/Jap games on my failing PAL SNES with a precariously placed converter, I am now looking for a US machine (hence my thread in the wanted folder).

Some of the machines I have my eye on do not come with an AC adapter so I was wondering will something like this: http://www.electricquarter.com/multiac.htm or this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...202959786&rd=1 be ok to use (with a stepdown, obviously).

Alternatively, is there a UK firm which sells a PSU that would work with it?

Also, does a SNES 2/mini version have the power requirements as a standard US SNES and thus use the same adapter/PSU?

Many thanks.

I don't know about the mini, but I just bought one of those multi-volt things from Argos for ?5. It comes with about 8 different attachments, you can set the voltage / polarity, and it seems to run my Super Famicom without any problems set to 9v. (I believe that's what it should be?)

Comment

I dug out my US SNES AC Adapter and here are the specifications:

MODEL NO: SNS-002
      INPUT: AC120V 60Hz 17W
      OUTPUT: DC10V 850mA

I took a look in the official Nintendo online store and found that they are no longer in stock. I did however find a few original models available for sale on Ebay.

The same adapter will probably work on both models. That, however, is only a conjecture.

Good luck.

Comment

I still use an old Sinclair Power supply with a custom soldered lead from my original US Nintendo model supplied by Shekhana consoles way back in 1992. Never had any problems with it ever.

Specs.

IN 240V
        AC 50 Hz
        0.15 A
        Out 9 V.DC
        At 1.85A

Comment

It's not finding a proper power supply that's the problem, it's one with an end that will actually fit in the back of the SNES!
          Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Maplins also do those variable voltage PSUs with the different sized adapters to fit on the end. I got one for my US SNES and it works a treat. That one you linked to on eBay should be ok with a stepdown, yeah.

As far as I know, the SNES Jnr (or whatever they're called) have different power supply inputs to standard USA machines. I think they're the same size as PAL machines and Super Famicoms. Bear in mind they don't output RGB without a mod, though.

Comment

EDIT: now sorted - just bought a SNES2 with everything included, including AC adapter!

Thanks for all the help.
              Last edited by icarus0; 04-07-2005, 08:51.

Comment

Working...
              X