Valis: an AGS RPG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valis: an AGS RPG

After months spent creating my game and lurking in various forums, I thought it was about time I introduced the project I've been working on: VALIS.

Valis is going to be a RPG in the Final Fantasy mould. Now, I know AGS is not really the obvious choice for such a game, but so far it's been going surprinsingly well. The game features a world map, towns where you can visit bars, guilds, shops and other places of interest. You can equip various weapons and accessories to your characters. You fight monsters in turn-based battles and level-up your characters and their abilities (called chakras in the game).

The Story:

The story is based on the Hindu mythology of Kundalini. Kundalini is a condensed, primal force which lies dormant in us all. When released, it creates a vertical connection between 7 chakras located along our spine. Each chakra has a different property which in the game represents different powers for your characters (earth,water,fire,air,sound,light and thought). In the land of Valis, an evil force has released physical entities who use the Kundalini powers to steal human souls. They are called the Tamashii-seishin. Only those who have trained in their chakra powers can defeat them (the Ruahs). You play the role of two Ruah monks who are trying to restore order to Valis. This won't be easy because not only are the Tamashii very powerful but most Ruahs are corrupt. Knowing full well that the rest of the world depends on them, they have formed a guild which now controls everything and they are not about to let you ruin it for them!

features:
    - turn-based battles
    - non-linear quests with a reward system which gives you money and items depending on how well the quest went.
    - town to town trading system in the Elite mould
    - 12 towns to visit each with unique locations
    - upgradable powers: choose how you spend your experience points Do you improve an existing power or do you save up for a brand new one?
    - 7 different types of monsters and each of them with varying levels of experience to match your own strength so battles are always a challenge.
    - 4 playable characters
    - a gripping storyline with tons of dialogues

demo:

game files: **** NEW VERSION V1.10 updated 08.07.05****

optional music Vox files (original music created for the game)
    http://12.22.230.41/MicroTech/Host/Games/music.zip (unzip in game root directory)

Run Winsetup to launch the game.

The demo is very short and does not include many of the features the full game will have but it is still a very good indication of where I'm headed. So any comments, suggestions, critiques are more than welcomed.

screenshots

world map

outside the temple

levelling up after battle

battle system in action

So this has nowt to do with the sword of Valis and our fair mighty maidens Yuko & Lena??

Comment

wow... it looks preety dissapointing. if you are serious in making this may i suggest the rpg tool kit? it may seem simple but thanks for its code system you can make anything from mini games to a new BS!

Comment

Slasher, using the RPG toolkit would defy the point. This is about trying to do something different in a genre that is quickly becoming stale

Comment

I must say I'm quite impressed with this. Havn't really looked into the homebrew scene for sometime but decided to give this a try, and it left me wanting more.

I love the artwork style of the game and the music was atmospheric but doesn't intrude. That three day mission was tense, and failed it in my first try but I'm actually glad I did as I would have missed that ending. My only compliant would be the lack of animations, but I quickly got passed that. Oh, and it's to short.

When do we get to play the rest ?

Comment

Working...
          X