PS2 Region 'X' DVD Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS2 Region 'X' DVD Questions

How does it work? Do you have to use a disc swapping method or does it save something to your memory card.

Also I saw one with a 'key' - looked a bit weird, do you have to use it?

Thanks

The Region X is simple enough. Insert the Region X, your machine boots it up. Once it's booted, choose the region you wish to boot, exchange the discs, job done.

Some versions of the disc required the key dongle, whereas other versions just required a memory card.

Comment

Once you've set a region, it should last as long as the machine is plugged in - i.e. stick it into standby mode when you've finished, rather than off completely.

Comment

Nice one.
        Will have to invest! Cheers for the help.

Comment

You also want to make sure it works with your ps2 version. Not long too ago, I bought one for my 2nd ps2 version (one with IR built in + quieter fan), it didnt work so emailed for an updated disc, and they said they didnt have a version ready.
          Not sure where they're up to now, i just went and bought a proper multi-region dvd player.

Comment

A good point. I actually found this out yesterday, it seems there is a new disc which is compatible with the new Slimline PS2 and all previous versions, but older copies won't work.

I'm not sure its worth it anymore. ?10 for the disc, ?20 for a new memory card, and you still have the pain of disc swapping. Doesn't seem like the solution I thought it was.

Comment

It just saves settings to your existing memory card, you don't need an entirely new one.

Comment

Really?

I can't remember where I read it, but I was under the impression you needed to have a formatted memory card, otherwise your games saves would be corrupted.

Is this wrong?

Comment

The first version of the disc had a custom dongle, the second version wanted it's own memory card, but ever since then (years and years ago) it just takes up a few k of a normal memory card.

Plus as I said, as long as you don't change regions a lot or turn it off at the mains, you don't need to worry about disc swapping.

Comment

Nice one. Thanks for clearing that up!

Comment

You could buy a decent Pioneer dvd player for 65 quids from Amazon. Instead of spending money on DVD Region X, Memory card and one game.

Comment

Working...
                      X