Auto Assault (MMORPG)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto Assault (MMORPG)

Had forgotten all about this until today, not out until September, looks very promising, only ?18 from play.com, but ?28 from GAME/Gamplay with gauranteed BETA access ... anyone here a BETA tester ?

Auto Assault is a massively multiplayer game where you explore a post-apocalyptic world in customized cars, motorcycles, and semis. Humans, mutants, and biomeks battle each other for control of the world, using tricked out vehicles as their primary weapons.

Developed by Denver-based NetDevil, LTD, Auto Assault offers an action-packed way to play online simultaneously with thousands of others.

Fight bandits and mutated creatures at break-neck speed! Collapse buildings, crash vehicles and destroy just about any other object you see!

Explore, pillage, and beat down opponents on your own, or join a faction and help take over as much territory as you can. Feeling the need to stand out and kick butt? Participate in arena-style combat to prove your skills and the superiority of your vehicles.

Not only can you customize your character, you can customize the look and weaponry of your cars, motorcycles, and even big rigs! Each character can own several vehicles and improve their cars as well as their character statistics and skills.

Auto Assault boasts both common areas for battle and a detailed mission system with highly scripted scenarios for solo players and groups. Use your skills to unravel the complex storylines in each area and explore the remnants of Earth. Save your road rage for the online world of Auto Assault!
    couple of links for info/movies etc
    Welcome to the official site of NC America. Our site provides news, career opportunities, company information, game links and more.

Hmm - I see the Net Devil are involved, the people involved, or at least use to be involved until they dropped the EU server, in the MMO I play (JumpGate, now on US server).

This looks interesting; I like the sound of "exploring a post-apocalyptic world in customized cars, motorcycles, and semis. Humans, mutants, and biomeks battle each other for control of the world"

You can sign up for the beta (which I've just done) on the top link above.

Comment

yeah I signed up also, may get asked/included, may not. Looks very promising though.

Comment

Digging this one up from the depths, for anyone interested, they are doing a "free-for-everyone" beta this weekend only, visit

Welcome to the official site of NC America. Our site provides news, career opportunities, company information, game links and more.

sign up etc and you'll get an email with a beta key and download link before Friday

Comment

Just had a look at this, the 2 main files for the weekend trial are 1.9gb and 792mb! I hope it's worth it

edit: add another 200mb patch on top as soon as you log in
          ... a whole hour to download and install (takes longer than the complete 9gb install) a 200mb patch...
          Last edited by Edame; 18-02-2006, 01:14.

Comment

Total ****e IMHO. I can understand glitches with it being in beta (had numerous CTDs, HUD flickers on and off constantly, scenery disappears or turns black all the time) but I can't see there being enough of anything here to make a game worth paying for.

Vehicle handling is very much in the Twisted Metal style (zero turning circle, near-instant acceleration atc..) but is extremely annoying with keyboard/mouse combo. You have to drive with one hand and then aim and fire a turret with the mouse. Even a slight tap of the left or right key at speed can send you skidding off at 90 degrees.

'Gameplay' pretty much consists of driving from one point to another either delivering things or shooting them (open these crates by shooting them, mine ore by shooting it, kill x bad guys and so on). You just drive around, lock on to an enemey by hitting tab or clicking on it with the mouse (quite hard with moving targets and trying to drive at the same time). Then you just hold down RMB and keep firing until they're dead. Rinse and repeat. Some mission goals are also shared with other players, so you end up with lots of people milling around the same points waiting for enemies to respawn and then everyone starts blasting away and it's a free-for-all for the kill or item drop.

The day/night cycle is quite fast, and at least on my monitor, night is nigh-on unplayable. Can't see a thing and just end up trying to drive using the map and getting stuck on scenery every 10 seconds.

Nothing about the game was enjoyable at all for me, the whole thing just seems like a mess.

Comment

Mine's finally downloaded, just under 3gb with the patch, still even on my 1mb line it was almost maxed out (120kb a sec) virtually the whole time so can't complain.

Now to give it a whirl ....
              Last edited by VR46; 18-02-2006, 17:31.

Comment

Three hour solid stint on this this morning and really enjoyed it, no lag, glitches at all and runs lovely even on my 3.0mhz CPU & 6600GT.

The night time display was a bit too dark your right Edame.

Edame, aren't all MMORPG's the same though, go from A to B doing C along the way ? missions start off easily enough but get harder before long (couple of hours play).

Over 8gb of HD space is not to be sniggered at and I ran a defrag straight after installation - let's just say it installs really fragmented.

It's out towards the end of April, still some work to be done but hopefully it won't get delayed again. Such a shame beta testing is so restricted though, this weekend and then (for those will full beta access) four hours every Thursday evening

I'll certainly be buying the finished game.
                Last edited by VR46; 19-02-2006, 14:00.

Comment

I played it at I25 a few months back, really enjoyed it then too. Only tried a very early beta which someone had on their PC though. Shows promise, and I quite fancy another mmorpg to get stuck into after WoW

Comment

Originally posted by DavidHolliss
                    Edame, aren't all MMORPG's the same though, go from A to B doing C along the way ? missions start off easily enough but get harder before long (couple of hours play).
                    I know what you mean, but this one just seemed soulless to me (although I did only try Biomek before giving up, maybe the other races were different). I really enjoyed Guild Wars and at least felt that my character was developing even though the mission structures were similar. I guess I just don't feel the same way about a car as the avatar instead of a person. I think GW felt a bit more tactical and AA feels a bit more arcadey given that you can still use 'spells' but you're also manually firing weapons at the same time (not sure why they couldn't automate that tbh).

I guess this one just wasn't my bag.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidHolliss
                      I'll certainly be buying the finished game.
                      Well I didn't buy it - spoken like a proper u-turning politician saw it in HMV today, did anyone here get it, and are you still playing ??

Comment

Working...
                      X