Is my Cpu fried?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is my Cpu fried?

I fwe weeks ago I went to do a routine thing of putting a new HDD in my pc.

When i switched it on, just beeping. So i tried another Mobo, now I get the same long constant beeeeeeeeeeeeeeep.

I'm praying its not my CPu, so what are the chances that I've overloaded the PSU instead? it was a 400w psu and I've got 6800 ultra, a big external soundblaster and then 3 hard drives (probably very stupid)

I'm getting enough power to power the beeping,make the green LED on the board and the cpu fan come on, but nothing else, including the other fans.

You're not going to fry your CPU from putting extra stuff in the machine, unless you've been dropping stuff on the mobo and shorting it out - you fry them by not seating your heat sink properly.

Have you tried disconnecting the drive you put in? Have you looked up what the beeps mean in the manual? Need more info, such as mobo type. If your PSU was fried you'd getting nothing.
    Last edited by MartyG; 13-07-2005, 19:39.

Comment

I stripped virtually everything bar ram and graphics card , just so I could get a picture, but it just did the same.

its an asus a8v deluxe that is in there now.

checks prices for a new 3500+ :cries:

Comment

You could try reseting your CMOS, although I am not sure what good it will do. That beeping sound on startup usualy means the bios doesnt like something connected to your motherboard, or your RAM is screwed or incompatible. Like Marty said, I very much doubt its your processor, cause its quite hard to fry a processor, and it certainly doesnt happen by connecting new hardware to your computer.
        Last edited by Zanza; 13-07-2005, 18:51.

Comment

on my asus mobo the beep is usually a sign of overheating!!! as to why it beeps straight away is very strange indeed................reset your cmos as the other guy suggested.

Comment

i've tried resetting it, like i said 2 boards have done a similar thing.

Comment

Overheat beeps are normally sirens - I've read the manual for your mobo and it mentions nothing about constant beeping, you should be seeing a text message for any POST problems bar GFX and memory.

Open up the case and make sure every cable, card and RAM module is seated properly.

Comment

even if the cpu is knackered?

Comment

Yeah, even if the CPU is fried, you should still be seeing a POST message either "No CPU installed" or "System failed CPU test" - make sure all the cards are properly seated, and if possible, try a different GFX card.

Are you getting a GFX output?
                  Last edited by MartyG; 13-07-2005, 19:38.

Comment

on my motherboard, a long beep meant my gfx card was done for and it was right... :P

Comment

nothing at all. I don't know whats worse, losing my cpu or losing my ultra!

Comment

Ok, well it's looking more like the GFX card tbh, get a cheapy one in there and see if you get some output.

Edit - just a thought - have you been overclocking the GFX card at all?
                        Last edited by MartyG; 13-07-2005, 19:51.

Comment

nope nothing like that. everything was a ok until i put that HDD in, then it all went nuts. Wondering if i statically killed something

Comment

It's possible, but the whole you'll kill your machine if you don't wear an anti static wrist strap is pretty much overplayed. Leaving your PC plugged in the mains but turning off the plug switch (not at the PC switch as the PSU will still be live) means it's ground, so you only need to touch the case to stop any static. It's certainly better to make sure you're grounded before touching ICs - but if all you've done is add a new hard drive it seems unlikely it's down to static.

I'd get a different GFX card in there that you know works and see if you get a post message on screen.
                            Last edited by MartyG; 14-07-2005, 10:02. Reason: clarifying which switch so you don't electrocute yourself

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris
                              Wondering if i statically killed something
                              dont say that for years i've been shuving screwdrivers and static filled hands inside computers :P i thought it was an urban myth

Comment

Working...
                              X