Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ntsc games and my TV question

Hey all,
    When I got my dvd player nearly a year and a half ago I was told it converted NTSC to PAL, got it home and it played NTSC discs in black and white no matter what I did (and I tried everything) so I just accepted the fact that if I wanted to watch an NTSC disc I would have to move it to another TV in the house which plays the discs fine and in colour. So I put it all down to it being my TV that wasn't compatible.
    However I got my xbox chipped today ( ) and thought I would just see what happens with the 1 NTSC dvd I have and.....it played in colour (on the TV that displayed it in black and white on my dvd player)!
    However if I go to the enigmah video selector application (with no dvd in the drive) and change it from PAL to NTSC then everything goes black and white!
    So now i'm just plain . Basically, with all that info in mind, will I be able to play NTSC xbox games in colour on my TV (the TV that originally played the ntsc dvd in black and white)?

Cheers,

Shenbop

P.S. It all sounds very confusing, i'll simplify if needed!

what make and model is the DVD player.
    as sometimes there is a switch at the rear of the machine for ntsc /pal.

as for you x'box it was set on Pal, thats how you got a color pic,
    (are you using dvdx to play dvd's?)

if you keep the video mode in pal then your ntsc games will play in color(the ones that will work through pal) but you will notice slight jerks in the game, so ideally you should have it on ntsc for import games and switch it back to pal for uk games.

Comment

ps....

what connections are you using for the dvd player? scart or composite.
      a friend of mine had a similar problem with a dvd player. (ntsc r1 discs)
      through scart it was a b/w pic but through composite(jacks on the front of the tv) it was colour .

but my us snes would not play in colour no matter what connection was used!

Comment

Just buy an RGB Scart lead.

Comment

I do have an RGB lead ( advanced scart cable came bundled when I bought my xbox) But I don't have an RGB socket on the TV in question

becee, believe me I tried everything, switching from PAL to MULTI in the menu, using various cables and outputs etc nothing worked it's a Toshiba SD110e by the way.
          Yeah I am using dvdx2 to play my dvd's (in the xbox). An NTSC game will definitely play in colour then? I'll have to get one and see how much the stuttering or jerks bother me.

thanks for the info.

Comment

Yes your best option would be to set the enigmah video selector to PAL and make sure the video mode in the xbox options is set to PAL60 (if the TV can handle it). That's the best you're gonna get with your current TV.

Most NTSC games will work fine in PAL50/60, some may have FMV which stutters in PAL mode but most are OK.

Comment

Working...
            X