Help me get LIVE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me get LIVE

Ok here's the situation. I'm a technically inept gamer who wants to get Xbox Live as cheaply as possible but I'm confused by all the jargon and tech speak. I'm not in a blueyonder or telewest area so that only leaves BT from the official Xbox site and I don't want to go with them because I hear their router and general service is poor and expensive.

So this leaves me the option of setting it up through someone else, but where to begin?

I hear Nildram are one of the best Broadband ISP's so I was thinking of using them, will there service be compatable with Xbox LIVE? Anyone already using them? Opinions?

I also need a router, right? Where do I get one of these? Which one is the best to go for? (but remember i'm on a tight budget)

I'm confused between wireless/non wireless connection options can anyone explain this too me? (I'm showing my ignorance now aren't I)

Is it also true that I will need a network card in my PC to connect to broadband on the computer aswell? (Don't know if there's one in there already, it's a flat mates machine).

If I do need one, how much do they cost and are the easy to fit? (Please remember I'm **** at this stuff)

Ok I think that's about it. How easy do you guys think it will be to get set up? Any of you got stories about trouble free connections through non affiliated ISP's?

Any help is much appreciated.

Originally posted by Razzle
    Ok here's the situation. I'm a technically inept gamer who wants to get Xbox Live as cheaply as possible but I'm confused by all the jargon and tech speak. I'm not in a blueyonder or telewest area so that only leaves BT from the official Xbox site and I don't want to go with them because I hear their router and general service is poor and expensive.
    True, avoid BT OpenWorld. Check www.adslguide.org.uk for some good info about other ISPs.

So this leaves me the option of setting it up through someone else, but where to begin?

I hear Nildram are one of the best Broadband ISP's so I was thinking of using them, will there service be compatable with Xbox LIVE? Anyone already using them? Opinions?
    Nildram have a good rep, you'd have to ask them about Live compatibility. I use Zen who offer a similar service and I don't have any problems.

I also need a router, right? Where do I get one of these? Which one is the best to go for? (but remember i'm on a tight budget)
    Yep, simplest is an an ADSL modem/router. Check the compatibility list on the XBox website, then find the cheapest router you can that isn't on the list

I have an Alcatel speedtouch 510, but they are a little pricey compared to some. People on these forums have reported success with the D-Link and Netgear ADSL modem/routers, which are among the cheapest.

I'm confused between wireless/non wireless connection options can anyone explain this too me? (I'm showing my ignorance now aren't I)
    You don't need wireless if you are only going to use Live. A Wireless ADSL modem/router works with wireless ethernet - which your XBox doesn't have.

Is it also true that I will need a network card in my PC to connect to broadband on the computer aswell? (Don't know if there's one in there already, it's a flat mates machine).
    Yep, thats true.

If I do need one, how much do they cost and are the easy to fit? (Please remember I'm **** at this stuff)
    Fairly easy to fit, open the pc, plug it in a spare PCI slot, close up the pc and install the driver. You can pick up PC network cards cheaply too.

Ok I think that's about it. How easy do you guys think it will be to get set up? Any of you got stories about trouble free connections through non affiliated ISP's?
    Live itself is a breeze, just make sure you get a compatible modem/router. The trickiest part will be fitting a network card to your PC and installing the ADSL modem/router, but if you choose a decent ISP they should be able to walk you through it.

Comment

Papercut you are a legend!

Thanks for taking the time to help me out mate.

Comment

Working...
      X