FPS burnout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FPS burnout

I used to love Fps games and while now i still like them i feel they are stuck in a rut.Doom 3 halflife 2 they just did not get me excited.

stalker though looks like trying something new

what do you lot think?

Its difficult to bring new things to the genre other than increased realism and visual quality really, whilst I find the games really engaging most of the time theres still little to differentiate most modern day FPSs with age-old ones like Unreal and Half-Life. As far as games go though the FPS remains one of my favourite genres, I loved Doom 3 (especially ROE) and FEAR looks great also.

Comment

Halkf Life 2 was great and the Mods that are in production look awesome as well.

However there was something about the Doom 3 engine that i just dont like i cant really put my finger on it but i just dont like it therefore i didnt enjoy Doom 3 and didnt enjoy the new F.E.A.R demo.

Comment

I find that all the fancy new technology and cheesy single player stories don't really hold my attention. What I like in a FPS game is good movement and weapon feel with plenty of room for skill and depth in multiplayer. Stuff like the original CS and Quake 3 still can't be beaten.

Comment

Originally posted by Ajay1986
          Halkf Life 2 was great and the Mods that are in production look awesome as well.

However there was something about the Doom 3 engine that i just dont like i cant really put my finger on it but i just dont like it therefore i didnt enjoy Doom 3 and didnt enjoy the new F.E.A.R demo.

My personal thing with FPS games is shooting the enemys has to feel right after all most FPS games thats what you have to do.The bullets have to look and feel like they make contact.And also the enemys have to react right.I felt halo did this well.Doom 3 didn't that annoyed me because in a early interview they said thats what they had planned with bullets making contact and the physics.Game was released and the physics had been nerfed and enemys do not react that much.

Comment

The thing I don't like about the current gen of FPS games is that "bump map everything thing" its looks horrible, like everything is made out of grey plastic, even colourful objects have this unusual grey sheen

Comment

things i expect from the next gen FPS, besides enhanced visuals are:

1. increased overall physics (hasn't improved that much since Goldeneye and Perfect Dark on N64, right?)

2. much increased AI (hasn't improved since the first Halo imo)

3. more intelligent interaction with environment and NPC

4. better implementation of story and characters (is Half-Live 2 really such a leap over the first HL? i don't think so!)

all in all i hope that FPS, and story driven games in general, sometime soon are going to be the better (interactive) movies.

Comment

Boris is damn right about bump mapping i mean god damn look at those new COD 2 screens they really have bump mapped EVERYTHING, and i dont think it looks all that nice with so much.

Comment

Deus Ex i thought was great really expanded on the fps.Made it more of a hybrid genre
                  (not the sequel though)

Comment

Working...
                  X