Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Updating Windows XP (for those having problems)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Updating Windows XP (for those having problems)

Something I came across today whilst trying to use Windows Update only to be told by M$ that because verification of my OS wasnt possible, I wasnt able to get updates - is that simply by disabling the Genuine Windows Advantage tool found under Tools/Internet Options/Programs/Manage Addons - I was able to get all of the latest updates for my OS without a problem.

Ive been advised since that by leaving automatic updates ON that it will also install updates to your PC - but we all hate that option dont we, as we like to know whats being installed to our PC before it goes ahead and does so.

Apologies if this is common knowlege here, but it might be of use to some people also having difficulties.

Does this allow you to update thing like Windows Media Player? As i thought it was the option software downloads that are blocked.

/edit Seems you can download things like WMP afterall.
    Last edited by Ginger Tosser; 12-08-2005, 23:33.

Comment

Yeah, rather easy to circumvent... I'm sure they'll amend it soon so it can't be worked around anymore.

Comment

theres also the javascript hack that you can paste into the webbrowser before it asks you to choose custom or express install

type in "javascript:void(window.g_sDisableWGACheck='al l')"

Comment

Originally posted by marcus
          Something I came across today whilst trying to use Windows Update only to be told by M$ that because verification of my OS wasnt possible, I wasnt able to get updates - is that simply by disabling the Genuine Windows Advantage tool found under Tools/Internet Options/Programs/Manage Addons - I was able to get all of the latest updates for my OS without a problem.

Ive been advised since that by leaving automatic updates ON that it will also install updates to your PC - but we all hate that option dont we, as we like to know whats being installed to our PC before it goes ahead and does so.

Apologies if this is common knowlege here, but it might be of use to some people also having difficulties.
          I don't have this option oddly, any ideas why?

Comment

Which version of XP do you have, Pro or Home? Do you have a programs tab at all under internet options, and do you have the latest IE browser?

Comment

right its there if you load up internet explorer go to tools/manage addons and the manage addons window will appear.

in the drop down box select "addons that have been used by internet explorer" and will list items used by internet explorer and windows geniue advantage will be listed

Comment

I'm using Pro, and I believe everything is up to date, at least prior to Microsoft enforcing the validation checks. I am however still on Service Pack 1 since Service Pack 2 oddly disables the ability for me to run more than 1 external hard disk at once. I do however have a checkbox option under Internet Options > Advanced > Enable Integrated Windows Validation, which I have since disabled though this doesn't seem to change anything once I run Windows update.

Comment

It should warn you that you have the tool disabled or something, but you should be able to download all the updates. You also need to restart all your IE browsers, make sure none are running as hidden background tasks with task manager. Other than that, Im not sure what else could cause it.

Comment

Working...
                  X