480p on PAL GameCube games using Qoob - Compatibility List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

480p on PAL GameCube games using Qoob - Compatibility List

Many of you may know the Qoob modchip lets you force 480p mode on all games, including PAL titles. Some work, some do not. I figured some of you guys may be interested in my test results as to what works and what does not.
    I did look and check if there was a rule about taking about modchips, I didn't see one. Besides, this is about getting the most out of our legit games without having to rebuy our entire collection in NTSC, right?

FYI, I'm using a PAL GameCube, Qoob SX mod with 1.3c bios, on a LG 26LX2R HD-Ready LCD TV with JPN official Nintendo Component cable.

-------------------------

Baten Kaitos - Working 100%!
    F-Zero GX - Working 100%!
    Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles - Partially Working (Line through screen)
    Game Boy Player Start-Up Disc - Not Working
    Mario Kart: Double Dash!! - Working 100%!
    Metroid Prime 2: Echoes - Not Working
    Phantasy Star Online: Episode 1 & 2 - Not Working
    Phantasy Star Online: Episode 3 C.A.R.D Revolution - Not Working
    Pok?mon Colosseum - Not Working
    Resident Evil Zero - Partially Working (Screen slightly thin, adjust TV settings)
    Resident Evil - Partially Working (Glitching on top and bottom)
    Resident Evil 2 - Working 100%!
    Resident Evil 3: Nemesis - Working 100%!
    Resident Evil 4 - Not Working (Black screen in 60Hz, reaches title screen in 50Hz)
    Resident Evil 4 Bonus Disc - Not Working (Loads menu, reverts to 480i)
    Skies of Arcadia Legends - Working 100%!
    Sonic Adventure DX - Working 100%!
    Sonic Adventure 2 Battle - Working 100%!
    Sonic Heroes - Working 100%!
    Super Monkey Ball 2 - Not Working (Black strip covering bottom 20 pixels of screen. Game locks up when you press the Start button)
    Tales of Symphonia - Partially Working (Line through middle of screen, bearly noticable, may annoy)
    The Legend of Zelda: Collectors Edition - Not Working (Loads menu, reverts to 480i)
    The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures - Working 100%!
    The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (WW Bonus Disc) - Not Working (Loads menu, reverts to 480i)
    The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker - Working 100%!
    Yu-Gi-Oh! The Falsebound Kingdom - Working 100%!

-------------------------

F-Zero GX with forced 480p in 16:9 is gorgeous..
    Disappointed Resident Evil 4 does not load. Better get the US edition.
    Seems anything that loads games from a submenu, such as the Zelda Bonus discs of the Resi4 bonus disc over-ride the force 480p mode when loading the content =/

Would be cool if other people could contribute so we can build a large list y'know =)

EDIT - I'll update this initial post with peoples results, keep them coming guys!
    Last edited by sj33; 27-08-2005, 13:01.

Allready been done:

Comment

Yeah, but that list is crap at best. Half of the games on there that are said to work only get as far as the title screen.

Besides, was looking for this forum input =P

Comment

Tales of Symphonia (Small line through middle of screen, bearly noticable but may annoy)
        That's very interesting. Can anyone try a US version and see if that works in 480p? I was annoyed that that game was interlaced only.

Comment

I hear it doesn't, but I've not tried it myself. Curiously, the JPN version has it as standard.

I'll try and get a picture of the error. It's completly playable, there's just a little 'fold' through the middle of the screen as if it's not quite keeping sync or something. You can't even see it on some backgrounds (green for instance).

Logic would tell me it's a bug caused by the 50Hz-only game being forced into 480p 60Hz, but Resi 2/3 and Baten Kaitos are also 50Hz-only, and are 100% perfect. The latter looks quite gorgeous.

Comment

recently got my cube qoobed sx so that i cld run killer 7 in progressive...

alot of ppl say it looks alot better but personally i couldn't see much difference?(was running composite before) could anyone else vouch that it looks alot better? if anything im seeing more jaggies?

im currently using a VGA cable (modified digital cable by saurian). my tv lets me choose 640x480 or 480p, they both look the same...

Comment

Curiously, the JPN version has it as standard.
              I posted last year on this forum about that, and it got denied?

Zeroboo, what sort of TV do you have? If you're seeing more jaggies then you'll be gettling a clearer picture overall. I'd be amazed if you didn't prefer the look of it, something sounds wrong.

Comment

im using a jnc SST-42HDW ---> http://www.jnc-digital.com/Eng/ check the lcd area...

im using the US version of killer 7...
                it looked great wen i ran paper mario 2 though... hm... maybe theres something wrong wit me eyes...

Comment

Does anyone here know if Mega Collection can be forced into 480p?

Would be reason for me to get the GameCube game over the PS2/XBox ones see (I don't need the GG games, as I have then in Sonic Adventure DX).

Comment

Where did you all get your cubes chipped? How much did it cost?

Comment

I'm modding mine myself today, so hopefully I can one day buy a PAL game or two and add to this list.

The chip, gamebit and delivery cost me about 30 pounds from Mr Mod Chips.com

Comment

I might invest in the chip myself, not as if I can do much harm to a cube seein as they're cheap enough anyway. Then all I'd need is a prog scan TV and I could try loads of games out for u all :P

Comment

Now I rent PAL games from SwapGame I can add to this list.

NOT WORKING:

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes

Comment

That's a shame. I'll update the list a bit later to put it in a better order.

Questions guys...

1) Can NTSC Resident Evil Remake be forced into 480p? It doesn't support 480p officially, and there are some artifacts on the top and bottom of the screen when forcing it on the PAL game. Curious if this also occurs on the NTSC game, or if it works perfectly.

2) Resident Evil Zero. Almost works, but the screen in slightly thin... can probably be fixed if you mess with your TV's stretch settings or whatever... but does the same happen on the NTSC game?

Comment

Super Monkey Ball 2: Black strip coveirng bottom 20 pixels of screen. Game locks up when you press the Start button.
                              Last edited by Lyris; 25-08-2005, 10:23.

Comment

Working...
                              X