NTL cable and Router problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NTL cable and Router problem

Basically today I have had a 3mb cable service installed by NTL. It connects via coax cable to the cable modem, which I then connect via RJ45 into my Netgear DG834 ADSL Router to my PCs.

The problem is that only one PC can see the net, the others, although they are set to DHCP, do not pick up a DHCP address from the router. Am I right in thinking that the NTL service only supports one MAC address connection - and additionally, that an ADSL modem is no good for this cable modem?

My router has a RJ11 WAN port on it, however the cable modem only has a RJ45 - can I guess that Ill need a router with a RJ45 WAN port instead?

Comment

Bah Ill bite the bullet and go and buy something like this - http://www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk/product.asp?pr=RP614

Comment

Originally posted by marcus
        and additionally, that an ADSL modem is no good for this cable modem?
        ?

its a hub/switch right? still, you could designate your 2k3 server box to sharing the internet over your LAN.

Comment

I have this one connecting NTL Cable BB to 3 PC's and my Xbox - if that helps, works great.

Comment

You need to sign on to NTL with the cable modem connected straight to the PC first, do all the registering stuff, and then clone your MAC to the router and switch the wires.

At least, I did.

edit - oh, and you need to work out how to disable the ADSL modem part of your router, as it shouldn't be used. The fact it works at all suggests you've managed it.

Otherwise, flog it and buy a different router, like I did when I switched from ADSL to NTL. I've got the Linksys WRT54G, if you're after something that definitely works. Cost me about ?50, and is Wireless B/G too. Which is kind of vital as the PC is at the other end of the house from the router now.
            Last edited by mid; 17-08-2005, 14:39.

Comment

Originally posted by marcus
              My router has a RJ11 WAN port on it, however the cable modem only has a RJ45 - can I guess that Ill need a router with a RJ45 WAN port instead?
              I believe this is the root of your problems. It sounds like you've just got the NTL modem plugged into one of the regular ports, which basically means your Router is working as a Hub/Switch, and is not able to split the connection.

As NTL only allows one MAC address, this is why only one works at a time. You'll need to get a Router with an Ethernet WAN port on it. My recommendation would be the Linksys WRT54G; it's 100% stable, fast, and constantly being updated, adding new features etc. (there is also homebrew firmware you can use which adds even more to it) It can be had for about ?40-50 these days.

Comment

Straight after my original post I shot off to RLSupplies and picked up a Linksys Cable/DSL router, got it home, ranm quickly through the wizard and Bob was my Uncle. Really impressed how straightforward it was to set up, no problem at all, clearly the router was the cause of the problem as you say. The router I got only cost me ?30 also.

The internet speed is lovely as well, a constant 300K/sec of download. All in all Im very happy

Comment

well the router was for adsl that you was trying to use, i thought you had a server 2k3 box so you could have run the net through that

lucky you, changed over at the right time as you'll be getting 10mb upgrade soon

Comment

Originally posted by wod
                    well the router was for adsl that you was trying to use, i thought you had a server 2k3 box so you could have run the net through that

lucky you, changed over at the right time as you'll be getting 10mb upgrade soon
                    Cant bloody wait too - going from 1 to 3 meg and Im as happy as a kitten with a ball of string stoned on catnip, hell, its not that long ago when I was muddling along on a 56k

The server is right up in the loft, and seeing as everything is cabled towards my room logistically speaking it would be far more hassle than its worth, and the Lynksys box I have is pretty cool anyways.

Comment

I couldn't afford one so I used a celeron 566 with iptables and dnsmasq \\o

Comment

Working...
                      X