Soft modding a PAL Xbox for Hi-def

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soft modding a PAL Xbox for Hi-def

Hi guys, I am planning on ordering the Samsung LE32R41B, and was just wondering a few things- is it possible for me to soft mod my PAL Xbox, change the video output to NTSC (allowing me to put it in 720p etc) and change it back to PAL, whilst keeping the HD modes?

If this does work, does it mean that I can play normal retail PAL games, and go online without worry, and any 720p games will display in that resolution?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

I could be wrong but I don't think that'll work. Regardless of whether the Xbox is hard or soft modded I think it needs to be in NTSC mode for games to run in 480p, 720p etc. I think that if you switched to PAL the best you'd get would be 480i.

I seem to remember a few posts on here that suggested that you could still go on to Live with the Xbox set to ntsc mode. Whilst Live flags that the video mode has been changed at the moment it's not something you'd be banned for (although MS could change this in future). Perhaps someone can confirm this?

Comment

What you need to do, as I understand, is soft-mod it to NTSC, then clean up all the other things altered to get the mod in place, leaving it in NTSC. Video modes and region protection are seperate things.

Except in EA land, where Euro Region games check to see if they're in PAL mode and refuse to work if they aren't. Bastages.

Comment

Yeah works fine. I have a standard PAL Xbox, which has the NTSC dashboard. This allows me to output in 480p, 720p, and 1080i. The majority of PAL games have the code left in the from the NTSC version, IF the NTSC supported it. So for example PAL Amped 2 runs in 720p, and Halo 2 PAL runs in 480p etc.

You need a hacked save game of Splinercell, and memory card, and a way of getting the save game from your computer to your Xbox memory card. An Action Replay one will do it. There are two files you need to copy over. A hacked Splintercell save, and a evox app.

Have a search on this forum for exact details, its been discussed a few times (very recently too).

Comment

Sounds good, roughly what percentage of PAL Xbox games are happy to output in 480p and 720p?

Also, where's the cheapest place to pick up a component lead for the Xbox?

Comment

I'd say at least 95% of Xbox games run in 480p. Only a handful run in 720p, and only two (I think) display in 1080i.

Component leads can be bought from GAME. Unofficial ones, and they have no optical out. So ebay perhaps for the real deal.

Comment

Originally posted by wush
              Sounds good, roughly what percentage of PAL Xbox games are happy to output in 480p and 720p?

Also, where's the cheapest place to pick up a component lead for the Xbox?
              Hi,

Almost all PAL games will output in 480p (>95%). I've got about 20-25 and the only one that doesn't is Fight Night Round 2. As Mid says it's really only some of the EA titles that check for PAL mode.

There are very few games from any region that include 720p support though(approx. 10-15). I have the PAL versions of THUG2 & Amped 2 and they both work in 720p mode & look superb.

I'd suggest Play-Asia or Lik-Sang if you're looking for an official component lead.

Edit : dc-arena, we must be telepathic or something. 95%!!!

Comment

What card am I holding up?

Comment

VISA Debit?

Thanks guys, I must try it out!

Comment

Originally posted by dc-arena
                    What card am I holding up?
                    hee hee it's a trick question.......you're not!!!

Comment

OMG! How did you know!

I was kinda hoping you were going to say a card, then I could of used this image:

Comment

Originally posted by dc-arena
                        Yeah works fine. I have a standard PAL Xbox, which has the NTSC dashboard. This allows me to output in 480p, 720p, and 1080i. The majority of PAL games have the code left in the from the NTSC version, IF the NTSC supported it. So for example PAL Amped 2 runs in 720p, and Halo 2 PAL runs in 480p etc.

You need a hacked save game of Splinercell, and memory card, and a way of getting the save game from your computer to your Xbox memory card. An Action Replay one will do it. There are two files you need to copy over. A hacked Splintercell save, and a evox app.

Have a search on this forum for exact details, its been discussed a few times (very recently too).
                        Ok, I have got the following, the splinter cell save & game aswell as the linux app, I can launch the linux but I'm unsure what to do to switch it to NTSC, I go to settings and change it yet every time it resets itself to PAL.

What am I doing wrong?! Thanks- Haribokart

Comment

Strange, it worked for me first time:

Launch->Apps->Enigmah video mode selector->B for NTSC (I'm writing this from memory), and switch off xbox.

Comment

I have a crystal xbox. Does anyone know which version of the hack/pack I need to download?

Originally posted by mid
                            Except in EA land, where Euro Region games check to see if they're in PAL mode and refuse to work if they aren't. Bastages.
                            Arses! SSX3 and Burnout Revenge were what I was looking forward to most on the xbox in 480p widescreen! Can anyone confirm if they work or not?

Comment

I'm playing burnout 4 pal in 480p

I think some of the older games that didn't have any 60hz mode in them would sometimes refuse to work in 480p (I think it was the twin towers game and the original halo that wouldn't work as I recall)

Comment

Working...
                              X