Question about ps2 game cases.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about ps2 game cases.

Better rephrase the question... usually on a lot of ebay auctions, the seller specifies that the game ***** comes in its original case. What I was wondering was, does it matter if a game is sold in the case it was packaged in (in the factory), or if it is sold in a replacement case (a case from any other game), but one that is absolutely identical (only in better condition than the original)? With few exceptions, game cases are almost always identical (for dvd-style cases anyway). Or is there some difference and is the game devalued then?
    Last edited by Light; 02-09-2005, 11:04.

Maybe they just mean original case = proper PS2 case with memory card holder, and not a generic DVD one.

They're all the same to me. Some are different colours though. PAL ones are blue for a start.

Comment

Yeah, that's what I was thinking but..... people are quite fickle about ANYTHING.... I should know... I'm like that...

Anyway, I'm just talking about american NTSC ps2 games. I ask because I was going to sell a ps2 game to someone, but I switched game cases with another game as one was in perfect condition and the other had some small scratches and a few dents. The buyer said he wanted the original case, even if it is in worse condition, because that's the case in which the game was "packaged in" by konami and the other is meant for the game that it was packaged in initially.

Then I noticed the ebay listings with "original cases" and wasn't sure as to what was the deal.

Comment

if its the same colour and an official one, you can't tell the difference.

Comment

The buyer said he wanted the original case, even if it is in worse condition
          Should it have had a sticker on it or something? That's the only reason I can think why someone would be so fickle. I've noticed some American games have a holographic PS logo sticker on them.

Personally-speaking, I've swapped many cases.

Comment

Originally posted by Kubrick
            Should it have had a sticker on it or something? That's the only reason I can think why someone would be so fickle. I've noticed some American games have a holographic PS logo sticker on them.

Personally-speaking, I've swapped many cases.
            No, it shouldn't, I don't know why he flipped... I mentioned that I changed cases to give him a better one but his exact words were somewhere along the lines of: "I want the original case with which the game came with because that is the one that it was "produced with" and packaged by konami and meant for the players, otherwise everytime I look at this game it will remind me of the other one (the one from which I swapped cases) which was meant for another game and that it would devalue the entire product". He added that if anyone were to ask him if that is the case in which the game ORIGINALLY came in, he'd have to say no (otherwise he'd be lying to himself) and that would devalue the game because part of it would be one game and part of it would be another game (referring to the case being a part of a game). Basically, that it wouldn't have been a complete game. I think I should have kept my mouth shut.

Why have you swapped cases.....have you swapped them for yourself, or to make a better sale?

edit: oh yeah, you know those security sticker "tabs" that some games have (behind the manual). Are you supposed to take them off?
            Last edited by Light; 02-09-2005, 18:18.

Comment

Why have you swapped cases.....have you swapped them for yourself, or to make a better sale?
              For myself, so I have a minty case.

I only have a few US games, so I'm not sure what you mean by the security tabs.

Comment

For myself, so I have a minty case.

I only have a few US games, so I'm not sure what you mean by the security tabs.
                When can a case be considered mint and when not? All cases get some wear and tear and minor scratches (I presume because they kind of rub against other cases or something.... as they're just on the shell standing idly).

Um... you know if you go to HMV or any retail really (not necessarily to do with videogames), they have these rectangular labels on the packages (usually with a barcode). Well, these are the security tabs in games that I'm talking about (though I've only noticed them in 1 or 2 games, and they're black).

Comment

when selling on ebay, if there are no major flaws with the instructions or case, i will just state the condition of the disc.

if the case or instructions are anything less then great condition then i will make it known.

Comment

Oh right, those security tab things. I used to remove them from my DVDs, but can't be bothered anymore. Don't think I have any games with them.

To me, mint is "as new". Nothing more, nothing less. The cases can stay mint (ie. no scratches) if they're kept in poly bags, or the original shrinkwrap if you keep a hold of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Light
                      No, it shouldn't, I don't know why he flipped... I mentioned that I changed cases to give him a better one but his exact words were somewhere along the lines of: "I want the original case with which the game came with because that is the one that it was "produced with" and packaged by konami and meant for the players, otherwise everytime I look at this game it will remind me of the other one (the one from which I swapped cases) which was meant for another game and that it would devalue the entire product". He added that if anyone were to ask him if that is the case in which the game ORIGINALLY came in, he'd have to say no (otherwise he'd be lying to himself) and that would devalue the game because part of it would be one game and part of it would be another game (referring to the case being a part of a game). Basically, that it wouldn't have been a complete game. I think I should have kept my mouth shut.

edit: oh yeah, you know those security sticker "tabs" that some games have (behind the manual). Are you supposed to take them off?
                      I wouldn't sell to this crank, he belongs behind bars.

Comment

Oh right, those security tab things. I used to remove them from my DVDs, but can't be bothered anymore. Don't think I have any games with them.

To me, mint is "as new". Nothing more, nothing less. The cases can stay mint (ie. no scratches) if they're kept in poly bags, or the original shrinkwrap if you keep a hold of it.
                        *thinks for a minute*...

but how can you hold on to the original shrinkwrap in which the american ps2 games come? I'd understand if, like with boxes, you would only open one side of the box... then you can keep the shrinkwrap, but you have to take it all off if you want to open a dvd-style case. Right?

Originally posted by moonwhistle
                        I wouldn't sell to this crank, he belongs behind bars.

Comment

I know, but with Japanese games, there's a tear-off strip, so it's easier to keep it in one piece.

Comment

Man oh man, why dont I know japanese? It seems that not only do they have the best boxarts (generally), but they also know how to keep their games in pristine condition.

Comment

Originally posted by Light
                              Man oh man, why dont I know japanese? It seems that not only do they have the best boxarts (generally), but they also know how to keep their games in pristine condition.
                              funny because I just started getting jap ps2 games (sealed) and upon opening them I found the boxes have a strange ripples in the plastic and the instructions were a bit bent!!

must be the heat over there.

Comment

Working...
                              X