Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

charging my 3rd gen ipod via usb. techies look in!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

charging my 3rd gen ipod via usb. techies look in!

I've got a 3rd generation 20gb ipod and a laptop that has the 4-pin mini firewire port instead of the standard sized 6-pin.

The problem with the ipod is it doesn't charge via usb (only 4th gen upwards do this) and 4-pin mini firewire ports do not contain the power pins (hence their mini-ness) so are of no use.

I was thinking - what if I got a mini firewire-normal firewire cable and just wired in the 5v/ground pins from a usb connector to it, thus using up all 6 pins and charging my ipod?

The problem I'm having is finding out just what the voltage output is from firewire and googling isn't helping me much.

I'm not interested in buying a pcmcia adapter thingy so please don't post recommending one of these. Besides, it's more fun making cables!

Or, if any smart accessory company has made a hybrid cable that lets you charge from the usb port while using the firewire for the actual data then I may look into that.

Thanks for any replies...

I seriously doubt that it's possible... Let us know if youpull it off, though!

You might be able to find something at www.1394ta.org or www.apple.com/firewire...

But neither page will load for me, so I can't say.

Comment

You could just get the official Apple firewire & USB 2.0 cable. Plug the firewire end into the charger and the USB 2.0 end into your laptop. Then all you have to do is hook up the dock connector to the bottom of the iPod and Bob's your mother's brother. Provides power during music and data transfer and all.

Comment

hmm, worth a shot!

rats, it won't work...

"Unregulated DC; 9.0-12.6 V"

usb only does 5v/300mA per port

well that's that then
        Last edited by randombs; 08-09-2005, 06:56.

Comment

Does a 3rd-gen have a different Dock connector, then? If it's the same as the 4th and up, just get a Dock to USB.

Comment

Originally posted by billy_dimashq
            hmm, worth a shot!

rats, it won't work...

"Unregulated DC; 9.0-12.6 V"

usb only does 5v/300mA per port

well that's that then
            No, no, no...

That is not the end of your adventure, it just means that it will take longer for the IPod to charge, if you can live with it then go ahead.
            The problem would have been if the USB voltage was higher than the input spec. of the IPod.

Comment

well, yeah i know. i've wired up two xbox fans to a usb port and whacked them inside a makeshift laptop stand made of knex (i kid you not) to cool the underside of my laptop even though they're both rated at 12v (but their combined current is less than 330mA so there aren't any power surges) but they work ok.

Comment

I was referring to

rats, it won't work...
                well that's that then
                err...

Comment

well, yeah i know. i've wired up two xbox fans to a usb port and whacked them inside a makeshift laptop stand made of knex (i kid you not) to cool the underside of my laptop even though they're both rated at 12v (but their combined current is less than 330mA so there aren't any power surges) but they work ok.

Hahaha! You're a legend!

Comment

superkully, i mentioned the xbox fans just as an example of my using 12v-rated stuff on the usb port.

i've realised what you mean about it just charging slower and, tbh, i probably should've still gone ahead with it as it'd at least keep the thing on while copying truckloads of music to it without losing charge.

but i've decided to sell it and get a 4th gen as i like them better

Comment

Working...
                    X