Is this TV HDTV compatible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this TV HDTV compatible?

I know it's an older model but as long as it's hd ready I don't mind. Does HDMI input mean it is? and would I need to run it through a PC? Also would it have componant input?

No sign of the logo means it doesn't mean HDReady certification.

It's confusing, you don't necessarily need a HD-Ready to use games console HD modes. It might not have the logo because doesn't support HDCP through certain ports, or only supports 720p in 60Hz or whatevever.

I see no mention of the HD-Ready logo on that page.

Comment

The screen isn't a HD resolution either. It's 852x480 which means it would scale everything down to display it. It's got a component input and, I think, VGA but it won't be HD-ready or be able to show HD Sky or blu-ray/HD-DVD at their full resolution

I wouldn't take RS's specs too seriously. They regularly make mistakes, sadly (as do most retailers ). Saying it's HDMI but not being a 1280x720 res. screen is an obvious mistake

Comment

On second look, it's a Plasma... Plasma's at 1280x720 are pretty damn scarce.

Comment

I've been on the av forums at the ?2,000 hitachi they do or a 37 panasonic are both supposed to be pretty good.

Comment

IIRC To get HD Ready logo, the display needs to have:

* An HDMI input, for the HDCP "encryption". All HDMI inputs can handle HDCP.
            * One set of Component inputs that can handle up to 1080i, for completeness
            * At least 720 pixels vertically
            * Support for 720p @ 50 and 60hz, and ditto for 1080i.

Comment

True, apart from the top one. It doesn't have to be HDMI but, by default, it usually is. A DVI input with HDCP is HD-Ready as well. It's just that DVI may or may not be HDCP-enabled, but a HDMI input will always be.

What annoys me is that HD-Ready makers still think that one digital "HD" input is sufficient, and that we'd rather have a composite, s-video and two scart sockets instead of more component/VGA/DVI/HDMI sockets ft: And the one that really pissed me off was a Phillips LCD that looked awesome and - for once - had both HDMI and DVI inputs...with a DVI input that wasn't HDCP Well done, Phillips, care to explain why?

Strider, there's two 37" Panasonic plasmas - one is HD Ready, and the other isn't. (probably very good though, especially with the 360) Make sure you buy the right one I've seen it with HD video and it looks bloody nice. No idea what it's like with games

Comment

This is the one the AV Forums have recommended

Although I'll doubt I'll buy it from comet

Comment

That's the one although I can't find any mention of a HDMI/DVI input I wouldn't buy it until you know that for sure.

The one reference I could find that even bothered to mention resolution (not like that's an important part of the spec. or anything ) said it's 1024x720 which is a bastardised 4:3 screen ratio Probably a mis-print but, again, I'd check it out first

Comment

I'm no expert on Plasma TV's (in fact, I know feck all about them compared to LCD's), but don't Plasma screens have rectangle pixels as opposed to the usual square? That would explain the strange resolutions.

If your wanting true HD resolutions i.e 16:9 1280x720, 1366x768, 1920x1080, you really should look more towards LCD's.

Comment

They do but you can still get 1280x720 (and 1366x768) res plasma screens. I don't understand how this rectangle pixel thing explains it anyway...especially as some screens have an absurd resolution like 1024x1024 :blink

Comment

well mate tbh the hitachi is a 1024x1024 alis resolution, when you consider that the pioneer is only 1024x768 but that is considered "hd ready"...............i'd go for it mate!

it has dvi sockets and plenty of resolution so i think its a very good buy. that particular hitachi model won awards last year too!! and it was one of the top 3 plasma's recommended by "what plasma and lcd tv"
                        hd ready is simply a new terminology adopted by company's, for instance the old sharp lcd's have dvi connectivity and are 1366x768 resolution(clearly hd ready), but it doesnt say so on the set.

go for it!!

Comment

2 things about the 37pv500 one strider mentions :

1.it's 1024*768, which is not living up to the hd ready logo. yeah, it says 720 as minimum, but this refers to the 16:9 hdtv resolution 1270*720, since hdtv means a 16:9 screen.

2.it's not a true 16:9 resolution, but a 4:3 resolution with the pixels made rectangular to fit a 16:9 format.

Incredibly enough, most people overlook these 2 factors, and this plasma and it's 42" big brother has been quite popular.
                          My advice, buy at least 1366*768 screen(pal world's version of hdtv), or wait until 1920*1080 (real hdtv) screens are out at affordable prices(1 year or 2). then you'll get the full benefit of your ps3 blu-ray, or whatever player of choice.
                          Last edited by t-dog; 11-09-2005, 07:45.

Comment

Oh is 1366x768 just the PAL version of 1280x720? That makes sense then. Cheers I think the fact that there is so many issues with HD plasmas would make me avoid them. I can't understand how a 4:3 resolution can be used to show widescreen stuf, at least not without causing problems with the signal. btw there is a ?1500 Samsung plasma that is definitely HD-Ready. It might be worth looking at that?

hd ready is simply a new terminology adopted by company's, for instance the old sharp lcd's have dvi connectivity and are 1366x768 resolution(clearly hd ready), but it doesnt say so on the set.
                            It's not that simple though. They may not be HD Ready for one of two reasons

No HDCP
                            Unable to show 720p at 50Hz and 60Hz

The HD Ready thing is a very good idea, IMO. Just one look tells you the important facts and, since so many retailers have problems with that it's better to get this information confirmed by a third party

Comment

Originally posted by RLench
                              Oh is 1366x768 just the PAL version of 1280x720?
                              No no no no, it's nothing like that. With HD, PAL and NTSC do not exist. There is just the one standard.
                              The only difference between region we now have is 50 and 60Hz - moot thanks to the fact that a TV has to support both to gain HD-Ready certification.

Sets just tend to be 1366x768 for 2 main reasons - cheaper to manufacture than 1280x720 sets, and they're more compatible with PC resolutions.
                              Besides, they resize 1080i better (so long as your set does it properly and doesn't just downscale it to 540p).

Nah that's not true. HD-Ready certification basically means that set conforms to the strict set of guidelines set in order to maintain compatibility.

This includes -

-Set must support HDCP through both the HDMI and the DVI output.
                              -Minimum of 720p vertical, in a 16:9 ratio (which is why 1280x768 does not meet the mark, as it's 15:9).
                              -Support of 720p and 1080i through both the analog (Component) and Digital outputs, in both 50 and 60Hz.

HD-Ready certification is a good thing, it means your guarenteed to be getting what you need for HD in the future.
                              Last edited by sj33; 11-09-2005, 09:16.

Comment

Working...
                              X