N64 Region Info?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

N64 Region Info?

I have recently come into posession of a PAL N64 with some good games, yay!

What are the mthods for playing US and JP games on it? Are there lock on carts, or is modding required? Also, I remember something about an RGB mod. Is this required for foreign games?

By the way, I'm using the lead from ym Gamecube, if that makes any difference, but also have the original AV cable.

Also, lastly, any good games released only stateside, or in Japan (but englishman friendly)?

the rgb mod is for us/jap machines only as far as i'm aware. the problem with imports on n64 is the newer stuff needs boot codes entered in the import cart's menu. also, i've never heard of 60hz on a pal cube so that'd pose a problem too (borders+slower games).

your cube lead is fine (they work on snes, n64 and cube, just like the psx leads work with ps2)

maybe someone can elaborate further?

Comment

Well I know that the cube does do 60hz, I run PSO on 60hz, as it's the only way you can get online with it now.

Comment

Originally posted by Kizzycrew
        Well I know that the cube does do 60hz, I run PSO on 60hz, as it's the only way you can get online with it now.
        I think b_d was just getting his consoles mixed up and he meant the PAL N64 doesn't do 60hz.

Comment

Also, lastly, any good games released only stateside, or in Japan (but englishman friendly)?
          The main one that springs to mind is the rather excellent and varied shooter, Sin and Punishment. Normally goes for about ?30-?40 in the UK I think.

Comment

lol it was 4:26pm on a saturday for god's sake!

it's this damn laptop keyboard, i tell you!

i did indeed mean the pal n64, not the cube

this thread:

seems to imply that some games do actually run in 60hz on a pal n64 although i've never personally seen this. my foolproof method is to change the volume or something and see if your telly's on-screen display has stretched, then you know you're in proper 60hz mode (and not running some 50hz-optimised game).

if it's true, then surely there'd be a hack of some sort to force 60hz on ALL import games using the same cart?

it's like the xbox - a lot of us/jap games, like soul calibur 2, will run in 50hz on it if it's set to pal (even if pal60 support is enabled) whereas others, say, burnout 2, switch the xbox to 60hz, and for dvd's it's even worse - none will run in 60hz. if the xbox is chipped, then evox can switch the display between pal50 and ntsc depending on the region of the game, and avalaunch is even better as it can force pal60 all the time...
            Last edited by randombs; 18-09-2005, 16:16.

Comment

I can verify that the Passport 3 convertor cartridge DOES play n64 games in 60hz on a pal n64 unit.

Before selling my collection (on ebay at mo) I made sure to give Paper Mario and Conker's BFD a good rodgering 8)

Comment

The Jpn N64 version of Bangaioh is excellent.

Comment

Originally posted by jeimuzu_uk
                  I can verify that the Passport 3 convertor cartridge DOES play n64 games in 60hz on a pal n64 unit.

Before selling my collection (on ebay at mo) I made sure to give Paper Mario and Conker's BFD a good rodgering 8)
                  that's great - i may have to look for one as i had a jap machine for a while but the rgb was nasty. i bet these passport thingies cost a packet though

Comment

Working...
                  X