Can you recomend me a C# book???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you recomend me a C# book???

Im pretty much a beginer at coding (besides Pascal) although i have done a bit of stored procedure programing in the last few months.
    Anyhoo im looking into getting into C# and was wondering if someone can reccomed me a book that focuses on C# within the Visual Studio enviroment. I tried the Microsoft official guide and like almost all MS official books, found it all over the place frankly

So what do you reccomend? Remember i am a beginner!

I will reward the best bit of advice with gold!

*note, you will not actually recieve any gold from me*

*cough* *learn java*

only joking

Comment

Originally posted by kernow
      *cough* *learn java*

only joking

DIE SCUMMMM!

Comment

aww come on its not that bad, if you ever changed entire systems in 5 years that would be one part you wouldn't have to ever rewrite, everyone slags java off

c# seems so .. single platform and proprietry

good luck though man, I've never touched it

Comment

The problem with Java is that it's so SLOOOWWWW....

And you don't know what it's doing behind your back.

Jushin,

Try this:

Personally, I prefer just a reference to the language (if you know one &c. &c.) to start learning:

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Comment

its a common misconception that java is slow, all VM's are now hotspot compilers which analyze frequently running iterative functions or loops etc and write them out as native machine code which is executed next time, basically the longer your program runs the faster and faster it gets.

with GCJ native binary compilers and such things as excelsior jet, its really one of the least things to worry about, especially as java object creation and manipulation speeds are just the same, if not faster, than C++.

a lot of games are created in java now and just compiled to native binary with something such as excelsior jet, you'd be suprised. slowness is something that can be counteracted with more resources, theres a lot of benefits to learning something platform inspecific in my opinion. your company might not run MS services forever.

(I'll get my coat, sorry to derail thread)

Comment

All you say is true.

I just can't get the Java prejudice out of my system though... Some stray neuron is permanantly connected between the concepts of "Java", "kiddy" and "language"...

:-P

Comment

more so than visual basic or delphi ?

heh, I really will stop derailing this thread now

maybe I should try c# too, I havent done any win32 programming in aeons

Comment

.NET works on the same principal as Java and uses a JIT compiler to execute the MSIL (Microsoft Intermediate Language) which the language compiler creates.

I can't recommend a book dedicated to C# for a novice, but I can recommend a book that covers .NET and touches on all that makes up the development environment. It's "Understanding .NET" written by David Chappell published by Addison Wesley. ISBN 0-201-74162-8. It really is worth reading to get an understanding of how .NET works and the common runtime libraries, from which you can then jump to concentrating on learning a language syntax.

Book link
                  Last edited by MartyG; 20-09-2005, 08:08.

Comment

Cheers i went for this 1. I have been working suporting .NET development for 9 months now with SQL 2000 so i have a firm grasp of .NET technologies. Its just that with no programing background some of the C# books the dev guys use get ahead of themselves without explaining why that particular line goes there etc. I just need to get in at the very bottom, so to speak.

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG
                      .NET works on the same principal as Java and uses a JIT compiler to execute the MSIL (Microsoft Intermediate Language) which the language compiler creates.

I can't recommend a book dedicated to C# for a novice, but I can recommend a book that covers .NET and touches on all that makes up the development environment. It's "Understanding .NET" written by David Chappell published by Addison Wesley. ISBN 0-201-74162-8. It really is worth reading to get an understanding of how .NET works and the common runtime libraries, from which you can then jump to concentrating on learning a language syntax.

Book link

I have read this book it is an excellent background read

Comment

Would that book be good for a C/C++ programmer who wants to know what all this new stuff is about?

Comment

I'd say so yes.

Comment

If you just want to dick around with Microsoft's language, Microsoft have some of the best resources via msdn and other sites like Coding4Fun. You can get technology preview versions of all the Visual Studio software.

Comment

Coding 4 Fun? Do they have an affiliation with Jamster or something?

Comment

Working...
                              X