Logmein.com - useful remote app

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Logmein.com - useful remote app

Found this little gem at www.logmein.com - allows you to access any PC via a java enabled internet browser, unlike most remote solutions this one is free so long as all you wish to do is control a remote PC. Its very easy to set up, just create an account and run the installer on the pc you want to control. For people like me who wish to access home PCs from work, or for helping out stuck relatives its ideal.

And before you ask, no, I dont work for them

good find mate, been using gotomypc for few months but never enough to warrant the ?9 a month fee (register with a different email addy every 30 days so doesn't cost me a bean )

Comment

If you don't mind downloading a small client David, go for realvnc. Totally free and very good.

Comment

Originally posted by babs
        If you don't mind downloading a small client David, go for realvnc. Totally free and very good.
        Yeah or UltraVNC (With encryption pack) from here:

http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/
        http://msrc4plugin.home.comcast.net/index.html

I find that one better on slow lines. But it does need some port forwarding.

This one marcus has shown, is that just over port 80 then? Like a proxied Remote control from a hosted site?

/C_S
        Last edited by capcom_suicide; 28-09-2005, 12:20.

Comment

Originally posted by babs
          Agreed, I use it lots.

Comment

Aye it is CS, good thing is that you can access it from any pc so long as theres net access, and Java is installed, with no need to install any other software to that PC. Ive not tried VNC via say, my work PC, although I used to use it on my internal network before switching to Remote Desktop and Chicken of VNC for my Mac.

Comment

Originally posted by marcus
              Aye it is CS, good thing is that you can access it from any pc so long as theres net access, and Java is installed, with no need to install any other software to that PC. Ive not tried VNC via say, my work PC, although I used to use it on my internal network before switching to Remote Desktop and Chicken of VNC for my Mac.
              Cool, I can really see the point of this.

Bit like "WebEx" for the masses! Just the same thing really. (But for end users instead of corporates) Death to firewalls! 8)

Thanks for the tip.

C_S

Comment

LogMeIn is not the only solution, There are a so many remote access solutions to choose from, here is a small comparison between well know products.

GoToMyPC: 30-day Trial, Buy: Starts from $14.95/Month

RemotePC: 30-day Trial, Buy: Starts from $9.95/Month

PCAnywhere: A 'Symantec' product. Costs approximately $200!!!

I use RemotePC... because of the cost factor.

Comment

I use SSH / RDP /

Comment

I have now used logmein "Free" to setup & manage my Mum, my sister and my friends computers back home in the UK.

(Painful stuff like configuring the router for WLAN, and installing video cam drivers for skype)

It is a fantastic bit of software. the screen updates and downscaling are the best I've tried, including Professional software like PC anywhere. It even gives remote desktop a run for it's money.

I really hope:

1.) It stays free

2.) It really is secure.

Highly recomended for IT whores of the family.

/C_S

Comment

I had the first one set up to work with my psp, worked fine if a little slow.

Comment

Working...
                      X