PC boost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PC boost

Is it possible to significantly increase the overall speed of a PC?

By possibly doing something with the Register or start up menu?!
    Basically I have a 2 year old laptop that stuggles to run any new games, can't really afford a new one anytime soon.

Win Xp seems to suck alot of power out of the system. Surely some Windows applications can be stopped to relieve the system abit!

RC My Comp/Advanced/Performance/Settings and disable all but the last three tickboxes to keep the xp look but improve performance.

Goto MSCONFIG in RUN command, remove all the crap out of startup.

Run Defrag.

Theres a variety of system processes which run as background tasks that you can probably disable.

Try this - http://vegastech.net/windows_xp_serv...e_disabled.pdf

Theres other stuff you can do, remove unnecessary programs via control panel, run a spysweep, clear out temp files, make sure that there isnt a buildup of dust inside the laptop by carefully using a airduster can through the laptop vents, dust is a killer.

Comment

Everything above and make sure your main hard drive isn't low on space.

Comment

format it, you've probably got winrot

(a term used in house at microsoft to explain what happens to windows after 6 months)

Comment

Make sure the indexing service isn't running (you can check through the "search" tool)

Buy some RAM.

Comment

add some more ram that will help also changing the page file xp uses could help aswell

Comment

170 pages on tweaking your computer to run faster Best guide i've ever used/read.

Comment

Working...
              X