Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do we get OVERSCAN in 60hz on a Dreamcast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do we get OVERSCAN in 60hz on a Dreamcast?

Why do we get overscan when selecting 60hz mode on a dreamcast?

If i play Virtua Tennis in 50hz, the screen is pefect, i can see the whole screen with no black borders.

However when i switch to 60hz, i get vertical overscan. It makes player models look skinny and it's hard to see the scoreboard etc...

Now i know this doesn't happen with mordern consoles i.e. Xbox or PS2. But why the dreamcast?

I have seen this occur on all my friends tvs and dreamcasts so please don't say its my tv because i already know its a common fault.

Also, i'm looking to play imports on a PS1, does it suffers from the same problem?
    Last edited by mcarocks2003; 04-10-2005, 21:21.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't happen on my current TV. On my old 14" it did though (as did all consoles when running at 60Hz). Hence I'd lay the problem at your TV.

Comment

I knew someone would say it was my TV. I am willing to accept it may be the problem but why are modern consoles like the Xbox, Gamecube and PS2 all perfect in 60hz mode?

P.S. before anyone asks, yes my tv is compatible with NTSC playback - it's a 28" 4:3 Philips

Comment

Is there a difference in the way you're connecting the Dreamcast? Are they all hooked up through RGB SCART?

The Dreamcast doesn't send a Composite video signal (other than sync) through the RGB SCART cable, whereas I think every other console has. Maybe that's confusing your TV?

Comment

Working...
        X