Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hodge
    Originally posted by wod
    yes but check here to see which version it is http://www.brown-computers.com/ps2-versions.htm

as versions 1-3 especially are harder to mod than v4 upwards
    It`s abit ironic really that the newer versions are easier to mod than the older ones. You thought sony would try making it harder for the mod fitters not easier
    Yeah, but remember that in a lot of parts of the world, Malaysia, most of Thailland, a lot of HK and China, a lot of Eatern Europe, piracy runs at about 90-95%. If Sony mod-proofed their consoles, they would sell almost no product in those areas, let alone any original software, a lot of which isn't developed by Sony money anyway. Remember that the whole wave of anti-mod PS1 games when they appeared were Sony developed or financed, as opposed to third party only developers.

As for the V4 PS2, of course they can be chipped, but it's a question of both it being a harder install and high probability of laser failure. It's not a question of playing copies - the laser units are just low quality on v0 - v4 machines. The issue about playing copies only relates to copies burned on dodgy, cheap low-refelctivity media. if you burn your games on 10p Princo budget CDRs, or 80p Bulkpaq DVD-Rs, the laser has to work a LOT harder to read and verify the data on them. You can kill a brand new V7 PS2 in months like this. Use top of the range Verbatim, TDK, or Sony media and load times are sometimes quicker on the DVD-R than the original - something I've timed and tested myself. I have a friend who made a 30 minute documentary for college, authored a simple DVD from it, burned it to a Verbatim DVD-R and left it playing on a V7 PS2 for about 8 hours a day for almost 3 months at an art gallery as part of his work show. Just chipped that machine for him and it's as good as the day it was made

I won't do the old V0-V4 chipping jobs because I prefer a quiet life and happy customers... and anyway, you shouldn't play copies - if you like the game, buy it - use your modchip to play original imports and support the companies who give you good games - even if you only play original imports with your chip, at least some money makes its way back to the developers...

Comment

Working...
    X