Recommended upgrades for PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommended upgrades for PC

Hey all, PC is gettin a biiit old and im lookin to upgrade the graphics card and possibly upgrade the machine from 512mb to 1gig.

The only game I really play at the moment on it is World of Warcraft so I dunno if i need the abosulte top model gfx card to get the max detail settings at a smooth frame rate? If not then I've been lookin at the nvidia geforce 6600 256mb card. would that do the job?

btw processor is p4 2.8ghz.

Phil.

Is your PC a AGP slot ?

Graphics cards i would wait.When the new ATI cards are released it should (i hope)
    reduce the price of the previous cards

Comment

Upgrading ram is always a good thing imo

Thinking of getting 2gb myself just because bf2 is such a resource whore.

I agree about the gfx cards, wait until the new stuff is released and then the one you want should drop in price

Or you can always wait and see if the card you want shows up in OcUK's "This week only" discount section.

Leading the way in bespoke PC systems and PC gaming, any and all of your components & peripherals needs are met with our vast range of products and services.

Comment

GeForce 6600 is border line too slow for new games. Go for a 6800 GT, they're cheap now and can be overclocked easily.

Mind you, even a 6800 struggles with new stuff like Call of Duty 2 if you crank up the res and detail options.

Comment

Orgun, I got 2GB and in dual DDR it's a dream with BF2.

Comment

Doubt i'll be playin BFII not really into the old FPS games as long as it runs WoW on nice detail settings and resolution but yeah I could wait and see what the new line is like and the prices cheerz for help.

Phil.

Comment

i'd say save up and my a new motherboard with pci-express and a new graphics card

Comment

If you're just WoWing it, then I wouldn't be too stressed. If you're not much of a graphics whore and just want solid frames with good details, then what you've suggested should suffice. In the long-term you'll struggle, but we all will unfortunately.

If I were in your shoes, give your PC a nice upgrade, double the RAM (it's pretty cheap now-a-days) and get yourself a higher end gfx card like you suggested. I'd go for the GT of the two, though.

Comment

Working...
                X