Neo geo MVS dilemma/questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neo geo MVS dilemma/questions

Right. It looks like my arcade cab is close to biting the dust, monitor-wise. This isn't 100% as I may be able to bring it back from the brink, but just in case I need a contingency plan. I know someone who will take it off my hands, but I a'int going to let it go with the MVS board inside it, as I now have about 15 carts. I have a number of options and need the advice of the knowledgable gentelmen of NTSC-UK.

1) Get rid of the cab, and sell the MVS board, buy a MAK Supergun - sorted
    2) Somehow modify or consolize, if you will, the MVS board to run on my telly - I need advice on this one as seeing the "I built a supergun" thread has made me consider this one seriously
    3) Try and sell selected items for a profit, and if I can scrape ?300 or so, get a new cab only with less games
    4) Sell the whole goddamned lot and spend it on something else
    5) Keep the non-working cab and games purely for nostalgia reasons, so I can go and have a cry in the garage occasionally and salute my former Neo arcade majesty

HELP ME

my cab sounded like yours until last week

don't panic, get a mate who can solder (like I did) and fix the cab

if its a dead monitor or PSU - well you can get a psu pretty easy , and a monitor, you'll find hantarex monitors always for sale on ebay.

my monitor was dodgy too, but I found it was the power supply, now I've fixed that the monitor is crisp as hell - no problems with it whatsoever.

so I'd get a mate to have a look at it with a multimeter, and you could go the supergun route or consolize that MVS board you have already I guess.

Comment

If you have a copy of Puzzle Bobble 2, then the answer is (3), and I'll take that off your hands

If you don't, then you should be able to get the monitor repaired unless the tube itself is shagged (not very likely). You could try asking around politely for help on UKVAC, or ask at your local arcade (yeah right!) who they get to fix their stuff when it's shagged, or you could try a local TV repair shop... they might appreciate it if you can supply them with schematics for your monitor. This would involve taking the back off your cab to see what monitor you have, then getting some schematics from somewhere like this:

If you do get a mate to look at if for you, do bear in mind that there's some really f***-off high voltages exposed in a monitor & they had better know what they are doing if they want to avoid frying themselves.

Comment

Fix the cab if poss, otherwise get rid. Dead stuff is a waste of space imo.

If you like Neo games then keep the board, and either supergun yourself or consolise it. Prolly best to supergun as then you can jamma away too

Otherwise sell the lot and buy one really pricey homecart, or have a nice holiday!

Comment

1) Get rid of the cab, and sell the MVS board, buy a MAK Supergun - sorted
          2) Somehow modify or consolize, if you will, the MVS board to run on my telly - I need advice on this one as seeing the "I built a supergun" thread has made me consider this one seriously
          1) You'll need to keep the board if you have a Supergun 'cos that jamma connector will need to plug into something... but if you want rid of the board, I'd be interested in taking it off your hands.

2) Not too sure about consolising it. As wheelaa says, supergun yourself. It'd be a piece of piss to do a real basic setup to at least play it. I take it it has aes ports on the board? All you'll need is power+video... that's about an hour or two of wiring (for a monkey with a soldering iron, me) and you'll be up and running with a switch or two for credits (if you follow the links from that thread, there's a list of parts with some really good switches I used for my project, recommended by Yod@).

Or, just get rid of the lot mate. You seem to go through this kind of cycle where you're so up for the latest retro bit and then sell it on. Maybe you're searching for something?

edit:

5) Keep the non-working cab and games purely for nostalgia reasons, so I can go and have a cry in the garage occasionally and salute my former Neo arcade majesty
          Haha, what's the missus gonna say to that?!
          Last edited by Commander Marklar; 13-10-2005, 15:52.

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Marklar
            Or, just get rid of the lot mate. You seem to go through this kind of cycle where you're so up for the latest retro bit and then sell it on. Maybe you're searching for something?
            Oh my god. Teh Seany is teh Strider.

No offence meant to either top chap btw

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Marklar
              That is complete bollocks! The only console I have ever gotten rid of is my megadrive, and apart from replacing my PS1 fighters with their Saturn equivalents, I am definately still "up" for all my retro stuff. I wouldn't be writing this thread if my cab wasn't playing up!

Sorry to bite on that comment, mate - but it has irked me a little.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                X