Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

a few dumb questions (ps2/tv/scart etc related)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a few dumb questions (ps2/tv/scart etc related)

Ok i dont know were to start with this, as im having alot of problems with both TVs and my ps2. Thanks in advance for helping me out

1.) When i plug in the PS2 scart to the back of the TV, and i turn it on, i get the ps2 image, but it "drifts, and moves around the screen, i can also hear whats going on in the background (ie BBC1). I have tried connecting this through my PACE Digibox, and ive tried with the PACE digibox totally disconnected (with the scart + aerial connected directly to the TV).
    Ive also set the PACE box to RGB and PAL and i still get the scrolling of the PS2 browser/options screen. What the hell am i doing wrong?

2.) I take it that a normal aerial socket is RGB ? and that NTSC is the scart cable?

3.) Ive managed to get a picture on my old tv, which just has a socket for an aerial. But when it comes down to watching region 1 dvds, the picture goes black and white, and it flickers.

4.) If i need to buy a new TV, what do i need to watch region 1 dvds? is it just a tv that is NTSC 3.58 compatible?

5.) is ntsc built in? or is it an option you choose from (ie pal/rgb)

6.) somebody shoot me

Originally posted by SFW
    Ok i dont know were to start with this, as im having alot of problems with both TVs and my ps2. Thanks in advance for helping me out

1.) When i plug in the PS2 scart to the back of the TV, and i turn it on, i get the ps2 image, but it "drifts, and moves around the screen, i can also hear whats going on in the background (ie BBC1). I have tried connecting this through my PACE Digibox, and ive tried with the PACE digibox totally disconnected (with the scart + aerial connected directly to the TV).
    Ive also set the PACE box to RGB and PAL and i still get the scrolling of the PS2 browser/options screen. What the hell am i doing wrong?
    I don't understand what you mean by scart + aerial connected - you only need one video cable connected from your PS2.

First of all - what kind of video cable do you have from your PS2? Is it a scart lead (21 pin rectangular plug), s video (small 4 pin plug with two audio jacks), composite video (video jack and two audio jacks) or RF adaptor (just the aerial cable with maybe a switch box)?

If you have a scart lead, is it RGB, composite video or maybe even s-video? Its hard to figure this out from just the cable itself, check the box.

It sounds like you have an RF adaptor. Get yourself an RGB scart cable, try that directly (it will probably work) then try it with the digibox pass through (it might work, assuming it has scart pass through).

2.) I take it that a normal aerial socket is RGB ? and that NTSC is the scart cable?
    No, you're very confused

A normal aerial socket is RF, or radio frequency encoded composite video. The worst possible picture quality.

NTSC is a type of video signal, it is nothing to do with scart directly. NTSC video has a different refresh rate (60Hz, pal is 50Hz) and a different color encoding (NTSC vs PAL). NTSC color encoding only applies to composite video and s video, not RGB video (the color is not encoded).

To say that scart is NTSC is really to mean scart is RGB and your TV can handle a 60Hz (ntsc refresh rate) RGB video signal.

3.) Ive managed to get a picture on my old tv, which just has a socket for an aerial. But when it comes down to watching region 1 dvds, the picture goes black and white, and it flickers.
    It sounds like that TV doesn't support 60Hz (because it flickers) or NTSC color encoding (because its black and white).

4.) If i need to buy a new TV, what do i need to watch region 1 dvds? is it just a tv that is NTSC 3.58 compatible?
    Yes, although some players (not PS2) use PAL60 instead of NTSC to play NTSC DVDs. PAL60 is NTSC refresh rate, but PAL color encoding.

5.) is ntsc built in? or is it an option you choose from (ie pal/rgb)
    normally built in, normally automatic. some tvs let you choose manually.

6.) somebody shoot me
    hmm...

Comment

Try selecting the AV channel on your TV before you switch the console on

Comment

so if i buy a tv that has a scart socket does that mean it can play region 1 dvds? (and you cant watch it with s video or RF as they dont support the color encoding?)

and yes im very confused - all i want to do is watch a dvd

Comment

theres different types of scart leads?!

whats AV ?

also when you plug in the scart lead is it meant to autotune?

do they make a "special" kind of tv thats like lego? i can handle lego

Comment

Hi mate. Here's some incredibly well thought out, and useful links. Taken from the home pages of the very site that you are visiting now, too.

I've listed them in order of importance really, and you should deffinately take the time out to read them all. They are an invaluable source of knowledge for the newly initiated amongst gamers and were written by gamers, for gamers, who are willing to make the most out of this hobby.

This should help you out imeasureably, and if you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Comment

Working...
            X