Homepage always resets to MSN - help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homepage always resets to MSN - help!

On my 2nd laptop, the homepage always resets itself to MSN, even if I change it in IE options. wtf is that about? The url it puts into the options address bar is http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/redir...r=6&ar=msnhome
    If I change it in options, it works until I reboot and then it puts it back again.
    Any ideas?

Do you use Microsft Antispyware? If so, it could be related to that -

Gain technology and business knowledge and hone your skills with learning resources created and curated by O'Reilly's experts: live online training, video, books, our platform has content from 200+ of the world's best publishers.

Comment

eek. I just searched my registry and found:
      HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\QWtp.ad\Numprofiles\home\browser Data.ieProxy.szHomePage set to that url above. I can't find anything on google about this.

Comment

Nope, not using the MS one.

Comment

Sounds like some sorta spyware nonetheless, run an adaware on it to see if it recognizes the regfile you found. Out of interest try resetting that URL in the key to Google, to see if it changes it.

Comment

Erm.. use Firefox?

Since ditching IE I have had zero problems with spyware, malware etc.

Comment

I've never had any spyware, viruses, malware etc in all my years using IE.
              I've run spybot and lavasoft and as usual, they haven't found anything.
              However, I've just noticed that that key exists on my other laptop too, so it must be some sort of laptop profile thingy, so when I switch profiles e.g. to display via svideo, or run on wireless instead of LAN, it has the facility to swap all sorts of settings. I've changed the key and it works fine. I'll mess about with the profiles later.
              Thanks for the help all.

Comment

I've a similar problem with my ISP homepage always loading up as I open IE.
                Even though my homepage in the IE options is set to something else.

Comment

I found it. Got this "IBM Access Connections" profile thingy. It detects what the best connection is and uses it, so if you on wireless and plug the LAN in, it switches to that. Each profile has an option to set a specific homepage and a bunch of other stuff, so I turned the option off in the main profile. All sorted.

Comment

Working...
                  X