Speaker Cable / Plastering / Protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by charlesr
    Crisp, what do you do in store for cables? Just have them coming straight out of the wall and into the speaker?
    as we get new products coming in every now and again and the store layout changes every 6 months or so, we just use boxed skirting boards...

the few installs we've done where the customer has wanted in-wall cabling the plasterer plastered over the cables and we either terminate them at a wall socket or just run them clean into the speakers where we can. the cabling is specific to b&o but i've not noticed any difference in sound from a setup cabled normally and one in the wall.

Comment

OK - I get you now mid. Mine however are satellites on the walls. Was going to go under the floorboards or carpet to the right point and then up the wall.

Cheers Crisp too. Still undecided about mine but have managed to chisel out for the back boxes now to have the blanking plates for the cables to exit. Will be getting trunking and try to make it fit tomorrow so it's fingers crossed time now.

One wall is a stud wall however so I'm going to have to plaster the bare wires there as I cant get through the horizontal batons to drop the cable down the back as I wanted to

Comment

dot and dab walls, absolute ****ing nightmare for cabling behind... installed a tv and stereo about 2 weeks ago, tv on the floor, stereo on the wall behind the tv and off to the left a bit (stereo uses the tv speaker to play so is cabled to it). had to hack no less than 4 holes in the wall to get the cabling in, it's a complete pisser as it looks a right mess when you're doing it but once it's filled and painted you can't notice it.

Comment

Have managed to get the 8mm trunking into one of the walls and only had to attack 2 of the bricks so am pretty happy with that. One wall had no plaster left so no probs on the trunking there. That leaves me with one wall to channel out for trunking (fingers crossed) and the stud wall to make a mess of to get round the batons. All will be tackled this w/e.

Coming on nicely now and the plasterer is booked so the end of the building work is in sight. That just leaves all the decorating

Your job sounds interesting Crisp, pay well? Worth me looking into if I wanted to give up my boring (yet OK paying) office job?

Comment

Originally posted by Agent L
            Your job sounds interesting Crisp, pay well? Worth me looking into if I wanted to give up my boring (yet OK paying) office job?
            s'not bad... i run around yorkshire setting up some kit in people's utterly stunning houses. pay again isn't bad, basic plus commission but you can really come away with some serious cash... i've got a chap in york who's knocking down his massive bungalow and building himself a 'smart home' and he wants our kit in every room, that'll be something silly like a ?40k fit which should fetch me about ?4.5k alone.

as with any job though it has ups and downs; ups being the kit is superb and i often get to take it home to play with, it's generally pretty easy to fit anyway and i'm not sat on my arse all day in front of a pc.

downs being the quiet times being silly quiet, and the busy times being silly busy (which in turn = extra hours, but more cash), and lacking the vast amounts of cash to purchase my own stupendous setup

and get us some piccies when you're done...

Comment

Working...
            X