slimline ps2s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

slimline ps2s

i know these are better cause they are smaller but are they really better in terms of parts and quality as i've got a modded v4 old style ps2 that works great, rock solid but want to buy a white japanese slimline ps2.

i've heard that the lens on the drive can burn out or the consoles have over heated and other things

also are the modded slimline ps2s reliable if modded

just cant decide as i also have a chance to have a test /debug ps2

would the white colour go discoloured like other consoles have

thanks

wod

Can't help about the general reliablilty, but when installing modchips, you need to install an additional fix to limit the voltages, or else you end up frying your laser. There are many fixes avalaible, taking different methods to achieve the same thing.
    Other than that, unless you plan to use a HDD (which means the slimlines are a no-go for me), then they're fine.

Supposedly the new silver satin PSTwo has compatiblity issues with various PS2/1 games... crashing in Tekken 5, movies screwed in RE2...

Comment

for the time being it will be kept unmodded as i dont need to mod it straight away and decided not to go with the hdd option

i just hate all the different colours and versions too much choice

Comment

Oh Great, there is always some new problem with the latest PS2 model.

This so called crashing and incompatibility, is this strictly modded silver satin PSTwo's?

Can you give us a list of games that have problems playing?

I want a reliable PS2 and slimline silver pstwo was the awnser, what do you suggest?

EDIT - found an article on the subject
        Last edited by mcarocks2003; 22-10-2005, 11:05.

Comment

That list is just PS2 titles too, it's supposedly even more extensive for PS1.

Sony are screwing around with the hardware too much in an effort to cut costs.

Comment

i'm not bothered about the silver its the white model i want and that apparently is fine of these problems as its model SCPH-70000CW.

a yesasia order is tempting

any one got pics of the white model, as the sony pics dont really show how white is it and would like to see whats its really like ?

Comment

Any other drawbacks with a PStwo? I had the notion they dropped something else along with the HDD support... does it still play PS1 games?

Comment

yes it will

Comment

Still plays PSone games no problem, but I can't think of anything else dropped, other than HDD support. (well, no Firewire either, but that was dropped off the big ones ages ago too)

I've had a pre-modded system (Matrix MX4) from GameFreax.de for almost a year now, and it's still going strong. Never had a problem with it reading discs, or playing imports, and they still give you a 2 year warranty if you buy the system pre-modified from them.

Comment

I was going to buy a white slimline PS2 basically just to have as a machine to play Initial D on, that also looks nice. Modded a slimline black PAL one only to find it won't play Initial D at all. I guess part of the slimline incompatibilty thing. If you go onto the official UK Sony Playstation website, there is a list of PS2 games known to fail on the slimlines. Obviously Initial D isn't on there as it's never had a PAL release, but there is a corresponding page on the Japanese official Playstation web site, with a much longer list of games. If anyone fancies a go at translating, I'd love to know if Initial D is on the list of JPN slimline no-gos.

Alternatively, has anyone on this forum used an original JPN Initial D on an unmodded JPN slimline PS2, without it freezing in the opening video sequence?

Ended up eventually getting a full size white PS2 off someone here and it's great - plays everything without a hitch.

Comment

Plus, and I know this has probably been covered before, but I never really liked the slimlines - that big flappy door is a joke. What's the point in having a tiny little thing like that if the actual physical space needed to open and close the door easilly actually make it take up loads of space?

I bought this excellent Sony slot loading mini DVD player in Hong Kong that I've never seen in any other region - it's barely bigger than a slimline PS2, I've hammered it for 3 years solid now and the slot loading mechanism still works perfectly. Sony stuff is just built very cheap now

Comment

Originally posted by will2003
                        Sony stuff is just built very cheap now
                        I know what you mean, when change discs on my slimline machine it feels like the whole thing's going to fall apart.

Comment

As long as you have one of the slimlines with 100% (as far as we know) compatibility they're supposed to be very good. I definitely agree that a slot loading drive would have been excellent, but they were definitely aiming for making a PS2 cheap to manufacture.

From what I've heard the slimlines are infinitely easier to chip than the bigger models, but you do need to perform one of the fixes to stop the chip burning out the laser. Mine's been chipped with the laser fix and it's been running fine since the day the slimlines came out.

Comment

the later models from version 13 upwards dont need to have the fix fitted anymore

Comment

Yeah - I can confirm this, had mine modded with matrix infinity (upgraded to v1.75) and it's been rock solid for months.

Comment

Working...
                              X