60 hertz compatability question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

60 hertz compatability question

If you try to select a 60 hertz option on a tv that doesnt support it, will it refuse to allow you to select it, or simply default to 50?

i think the norm is it displays a test screen for about 15 seconds and if the test screen is fine you just pick 60hz. Don't think it can detect whether you can't display it but your game will be unplayable.

Comment

I only ask because my tv doesn't always show a picture (its dlp) but still lets me select it. It can play NTSC stuff ok, so I'm guessing its fine...

Comment

When I've tried it in the past with TVs that haven't supported it, I get a rolling picture. Very fast rolling picture.
        Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Cheers for the info mate. I've found a couple of games that have huge borders whne I stick em on 50 hertz, so my tv does support it. It just doesn't show the support pic.

Comment

Does your TV have an option to select what type of signal each input can show? On some TVs you can set certain inputs to display PAL, NTSC3.58, NTSC4.43 or ALL.

Comment

A rolling picture is common if your TV doesnt support a 60hz picture. If your TV does not support true NTSC the pic will be black & white, these are the genral rules of thumb.But as said above some TV's use a test mode or just wont display, I previously had a TV that would display a logo in the corner and eventually turn itself off because i sometimes would not recognise an NTSC signal even though I could get a picture. From the amount of TV's Ive ploughted through (inc the ones I've blown) each one is different.
              3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

strange that it doesn't show a picture. bear in mind that pal60 isn't a standard per se (more like a hybrid of pal's better colour system and ntsc's faster 60hz frequency) but i've never come across a british tv that accepts ntsc but not pal60...

what make/model telly is it?

Comment

Working...
                X