Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dead Pixels on PSP - is the situation improving?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dead Pixels on PSP - is the situation improving?

When the PSP was released I recall many people claiming it was Sony rushing the machine to retail that caused the large number of dead pixel problems.

My question is, if this is true have Sony improved the screen for the more recent machines? I have a friend who bought a PSP at UK launch and he's not had any dead pixels as yet.

Plus I've seen a Dead Pixel fixer on the net - is this just bollocks?

I've had a launch machine with no dead pixels, and a white one with no dead pixels; I think it's just people overreacing as they may not have bought many products using colour LCDs before, or Nintendo fanboys trying to find a flaw with the system. (as Nintendo will replace any handheld for a single dead pixel)

As for the pixel fixer; it won't fix a dead (black) pixel, but could fix a stuck pixel. (red/green/blue/white) I have seen it work on several PSPs, but on others it hasn't done anything. It's certainly worth trying.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Comment

My white one has a pixel that doesnt do black,but every other colour you cant see it.

So is this classed as stuck,and can i fix it?

Comment

Sounds like a stuck white pixel. Stuck pixels will do some colours, but not others. I'd try the pixel fixer video, and if that doesn't work, then it's pretty much stuck like that.

Comment

Sorry to be lazy but do you have a link to the pixel fixer. is it easy to do?

Thanks.

Comment

Do a search on google for 'PSP dead pixels', it comes up as one of the first.

Comment

Thanks Duddy.

Wheeabouts in the PSP do i stick it. Was hoping to find a MOVIE folder. Do i have to create one?

Done,cheers.
                Last edited by Pavey; 28-10-2005, 06:19.

Comment

Nick, in the root of the memory stick is a folder MP_ROOT, in there is a folder called 100MNV01 - stick all movies in there. Can't remember if they are there by default or you have to create them.

Comment

Cheers David,done. Have you done the pixel fixer? Mine keeps pausing itself.

Is that normal?

Comment

not done it myself no (no DP on my White one), you'll have to wait for everyone to get up !

Comment

Lazy so and so's!

Runs for a few minutes then stops,yet on the dead pixel pages forum people say they have been leaving it for a few hours running. I only have one that doesnt do black so no biggie.

Comment

set the video to repeat and it'll carry on forever. i ran mine overnight and it didn't help the stuck pixel (a red one), but like they say, it's worth a shot. you may have already set this so i'm not trying to be cocky or anything

the only problem is it may show up -more- stuck pixels as it's really excercising them pretty quickly. while these pixels would have failed anyway at some point, they may have lasted a good while longer if the video wasn't run, as they would not have been cycled through that quickly during games of ridge racer, etc
                          Last edited by randombs; 28-10-2005, 07:38.

Comment

This leads me to my next question - after a while, dead/stuck pixels are going to appear anyway, right? Even if you have a PSP with no problem pixels, they're going to develop over time, right? Or is a 'perfect screen' always a perfect screen?

Comment

wow you're a mod, never noticed that before. if you've just become one, then congratulations!

as for developing stuck pixels, i'm not too sure. the general thing is that if they're gonna fail, then they definitely will. maybe there'd be tell-tale signs or something before they inevitably do

Comment

Working...
                              X