What's a 'polished' disc?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's a 'polished' disc?

Can anyone clue me up - looking at buying a couple of PS1 games, one of which is described as 'polished'; I'm drawing a blank chaps.

Just guessing ... maybe it's been scratched and has had that "miracle repair" stuff used on it.

Comment

Or it's been scratched and put in a professional cleaning machine. If its that, being politely told by the description is pretty much the only way you'd ever know; I've had several discs turned from dead as a doornail to good as new by one.

Comment

At least one polish owner.

Comment

There are also places where the put scratched disks in a cd polishing machine which 'polishes' the disc by grinding a microscopic surface layer of the disc away thus removing the original scratch by replacing it with hundreds of thousands of microscopic scratches.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDanX
            There are also places where the put scratched disks in a cd polishing machine which 'polishes' the disc by grinding a microscopic surface layer of the disc away thus removing the original scratch by replacing it with hundreds of thousands of microscopic scratches.

Some of the machines leave that spirograph patten that I assume you are talking about, other machines literally polish the disc and leave it very shiny and new looking.

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff D
              Can anyone clue me up - looking at buying a couple of PS1 games, one of which is described as 'polished'; I'm drawing a blank chaps.
              Wiping PS1 discs with a cloth etc leaves them covered in thousands of tiny scratches which show up really easy thanks to the black colour. A disc that looks like this = "polished". That's my take on it anyway.

Comment

My take on it is a game that has been buffed up by a professional buffing machine. It'll get rid of the scratches and on initial impressions have the disk looking like new, however look extremely carefully under a light and you'll notice hundreds of ultra lite scuffs.

Comment

i've got a polished disc and it looks shinier than some newer ones... top stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by wush
                    At least one polish owner.

Don't know why, but this had me in hysterics

Comment

Working...
                    X