PSP charging fault. Upgrading firmware.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PSP charging fault. Upgrading firmware.

A friend brought a US PSP from ebay back in May, but it turned out to have a fault. The machine couldn't self charge and he needed to buy an external charger to charge the batteries. The ebay user is no longer registered and hence can not get anything from him, and as it's an American machine, he is not under warenty.

The main lasting effect of this fault is that upgrading the machine requires the console to be plugged into the mains, and hence can not do so. With help from the version changer he's been able to play any game, but now with GTA that option is no longer available (does not work with verison changer).

Does anyone know if theres a way to upgrade without being pluged into the mains ? Is there a way to fool the machine into thinking its plugged in or is there software that can upgrade the machine without being plugged in.

My friend has already spent alot of money on a replacement battery (thinking this was the fault) and external charger and doesnt want to pay the hefty repair bills quoted to him. Anyone have any sugestions ? Thanks.

I upgraded from 1.5 to 2.0 yesterday to play GTA. Played it a lot yesterday/today till the battery was drained and now the ****er won't charge - I've read if you leave it connected to the charger for hours on end it can come back to life.

I'll let you know if it works.

Comment

Try to replace the battery as it might charge ok.

Comment

Originally posted by Legendary
        Try to replace the battery as it might charge ok.
        He brought a second battery (official) from GAME when PSP's came out in the UK. Both battery's charge fine in my machine, but not at all on his.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoshimax-UK
          I upgraded from 1.5 to 2.0 yesterday to play GTA. Played it a lot yesterday/today till the battery was drained and now the ****er won't charge - I've read if you leave it connected to the charger for hours on end it can come back to life.

I'll let you know if it works.
          Thats basically what happens. If the PSP runs out of juice, you can't turn it on - simple as that.

While we're on the subject, does anyone know how to actually turn off the PSP? By moving up the power switch, all it does is put the machine into sleep mode and it will still drain power regardless of being active or not.

Comment

To turn the machine of move the power switch up and hold it there for a few seconds. That will kill the power totally for you!

Comment

If its the battery charger connector that is broken, have you thought about trying a USB charger. It will take an absolute age to charge but providing the battery is near full and the PSP is still plugged in I cannot see how the upgrade would fail to work.

Comment

but the USB charger still charges via the power socket, not the data port connector - oh and it's not slow at charging btw.

Comment

I didn't know that. I thought it would be like my MP3 player USB charger which charges through the USB port.

Comment

Originally posted by Daragon
                    Thats basically what happens. If the PSP runs out of juice, you can't turn it on - simple as that.

While we're on the subject, does anyone know how to actually turn off the PSP? By moving up the power switch, all it does is put the machine into sleep mode and it will still drain power regardless of being active or not.
                    I said it won't charge not that it won't power up - It'll fire up fine with the adaptor plugged in but it reports the battery as completely charged even though it shows 0% on the same screen.

Nothing but hassle from my PSP recently - first the 1gb stick was borked now this. ****e.

Comment

I took the battery out of the PSP last night and left it till I got in 10 minutes ago - Stuck the battery back in, connected the power cable and it's charging Joy.

Comment

Excellent - good idea!

Comment

Working...
                        X