Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TV Question, probably easy to answer for someone!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TV Question, probably easy to answer for someone!

Hiya, the last few widescreen televisions i have had all do this...i get about a 96% picture, but to the right hand side of the screen there is a margin, it sometimes becomes a bit distracting, depending on what i am playing at the time.

I find i get this with a majority of games, but for some reason, certain games will fill the whole screen.

All the televisions in question were bought 2nd Hand, maybe something has happened to them.

Would love to know why this happens, or if there is something i can do about it.

Thank you.

This sort of thing happened with my old TV. Had to reposition the screen from within the game. Although some games didnt have this option, so had to just deal with it.

Comment

I've noticed this a little on some games though I must point out that I only ever see it when playing NTSC games so perhaps this is an issue with the tv accepting an NTSC signal?

Also my old Sony 4:3 set used to this, and I have also had to pull the screen over a couple of times (with ingame menus and the sets own menu) on my new Sony widescreen TV.

Comment

I think all CRT's are prone to this, Chaos Theory does it for me which is annoying. Just gotta deal with it I think unless the games have a screen reposition option.

Comment

It's a 'feature' of RGB that can vary from TV to TV, there's nothing much you can do about it. The Xbox tends to fill the whole screen, but the GC and especially the PS2 suffer from this.

Comment

Yeah, this niggles away at me all the time.
            The most annoying thing is that it is prominent on Capcom games on Gamecube.
            All of which are awesome, but irritatingly do not feature a screen setting within the games themselves.
            I have my cubes internal screen position adjusted 9 spaces to the right.
            I find that the image is also pushed up slightly, leaving a small border at the bottom of the screen.

Comment

My cube's 14 spaces to the right, but yeh, you tend to find this is the case with RGB signals, probably because the output is of a certain resolution and starts at pixel zero. My N64 in RGB mode has a slight border at the bottom on some games depending on how much they want to draw to the screen, as well as to the right, like Emir says, but this only seems to be the N64.
              In 3 years of owning this TV I've never been able to find the code for the test mode in order to adjust the geometry, which is a bit of a pain.

Comment

Most modern tv service menus will offer an option for RGB shift compensation.

Comment

Originally posted by Friction
                  I've noticed this a little on some games though I must point out that I only ever see it when playing NTSC games so perhaps this is an issue with the tv accepting an NTSC signal?

Also my old Sony 4:3 set used to this, and I have also had to pull the screen over a couple of times (with ingame menus and the sets own menu) on my new Sony widescreen TV.
                  The NTSC picture warping can happen because of the different pixel aspect ratios between NTSC and PAL. Often when running NTSC games on PAL designated consoles more picture than should be is chopped of the top and bottom. If your console is running an NTSC game @ PAL 60 as opposed to outputting a true NTSC signal (which a lot of them do) or your TV is fed a true NTSC signal but can't account for the differing pixel aspect ratio you get clipping and sometimes borders.

Comment

Working...
                  X