Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Japanese N64 have borders on my TV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will Japanese N64 have borders on my TV?

I want to play a Japanese game on my TV in the UK on my UK N64. If I bought a Japanese N64 would i have borders on my TV? If i used passport 3 with my Uk N64 would that have borders as well if i played a Japanese game on it?

If i used passport 3 with my Uk N64 would that have borders as well if i played a Japanese game on it?
    Yes, it would also run 17% slower than it ought to.

Full speed & no borders if you have a JP game & JP console. Although I think Pilotwings is a game that still has borders in the JP version...

Your TV will need to be NTSC-compatible to display the N64 in colour btw.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Someone in Japan who is a bit of an expert has told me that if i bought a Japanese N64 and played it in th UK with a Japanese game then it would have borders as its NTSC. Has anyone played a Japanese game in the UK with either a Japanese N64 or passport 3 and had slowdown and borders?

Comment

japanese n64 will play full screen and have no slowdown and remember you will need an ntsc compatible tv as the n64 doesn't do rgb scart unless you have it modded

Comment

A Japanese or USA N64 running USA or JAP games wont have boarders unless the game has been designed with them?

Repeating what Kubrick say's: Full speed & no borders if you have a JP game & JP console. OR USA & USA...
          Passport 3 will slow down & have borders if using a PAL console.

Comment

Anyone know of a good place to buy a Jap N64 from?

Comment

They pop up for sale quite regularly so keep an eye on the buy/sell forum here, or better still place a wanted ad in the wanted section.

Either that, have a sniff on ebay if you want one ASAP.

Comment

Or buy a US one, 90% of them have had the tabs removed inside the cart slot to play Jap games already, if not you can do it yourself in 2 mins.

Try and buy one that has been RGB modded too if you can, well worth it.

Comment

So as long as its an NTSC machine either Jap or US it will play all Jap/US games with no slowdown and borders?

Comment

why not wait for rev to come out, and you can play all them n64 games in ntsc speed and vga connection?

Comment

I thought the Revoulation was only compatible for gamecube games and N64 could be downloaded. What if the gam i want cant be downloaded?

Comment

Originally posted by mikey
                        So as long as its an NTSC machine either Jap or US it will play all Jap/US games with no slowdown and borders?
                        yup.

I thought the Revoulation was only compatible for gamecube games and N64 could be downloaded. What if the gam i want cant be downloaded?
                        that's right. and yeah, you'd have to find the original n64 cart.
                        hopefully their backcatalogue offerings will be pretty much comprehensive.

Comment

but do you think that you could download hard to get japanese wrestling games on the revolution in the UK?

Comment

good question. have no idea. my n64 wrestling game knowledge is limited unfortunatly.

Comment

Unless it's Wave Race 64. That's got borders as far as I can remember.

Comment

Working...
                              X