Old monitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old monitors

I'm looking to but a TFT monitor but I'm not sure what to do with my current flat screen 17" CRT monitor.

Its too good to just throw out but I really can't think what else to do with it. I'm not sure if I can be bothered sticking it on ebay as the price I'll get for it probably won't be worth the hassle.

Local free-ads is an option but again I'm not sure if I can be bothered with the hassle considering how much I'd get for it.

Any ideas people?

Local bargain pages type paper, i got rid of 20 of them that way. Much better than Ebay, though you tend to have to invite the dregs of society into you house to sell.

The ones i had were all Hewlett Packard HP71 monitors, last year i got ?30 each. This year i'd guess for my product ?20.

Comment

A couple that spring to mind:

1. Sell on Work Intranet (if you work for a big employer)
      2. Give away to a friend or family
      3. Keep and run as a second monitor

Comment

I've got a really nice CRT sitting about unused too. Don't want to give it away for peanuts and no one is interested at a fair price. I'll never get rid of it. Bah.

Comment

Give it to charity.

Comment

Cheap HDTV?

Comment

Charities don't take electrical donations - they have to do electrical safety checks which end up costing more than they'd get for the whathaveyou.

Comment

I have 10 or so sat in our server room cluttering up the place, am i allowed to get rid of 'em?

no

Comment

Thanks for the help.

Originally posted by Mgear
                  A couple that spring to mind:

1. Sell on Work Intranet (if you work for a big employer)
                  2. Give away to a friend or family
                  3. Keep and run as a second monitor
                  No. 1 is a good idea - never thought of that. I've tried no.2 and nobody wants it and unfortunately haven't got the space for no. 3.

The idea of giving it to a charity had crossed my mind but doesn't look like thats a viable option either.

As for using it as a cheap HDTV, how would that work? I'm a complete n00b when it comes to electrical stuff so any help would be much appreciated.

Ta.

Comment

You could use it as a second monitor.
                    You've never lived until you've had two desktops...
                    Honestly.
                    It'll be the time of your life.

Comment

Balance it on its side, hook up Dreamcast, play Ikaruga as nature intended.

Comment

I had a nice 17" flat screen CRT to get rid of recently, and gave it to a local primary school in the end. I wasn't keen to chuck it into a landfill, and it's a pain to sell. I hope that it's gone somewhere that it can continue to be useful!

Comment

Originally posted by mid
                          Balance it on its side, hook up Dreamcast, play Ikaruga as nature intended.
                          Genius! Why didn't I think of that?

*runs off to buy a VGA lead*

Comment

Working...
                          X