Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

XB360 Noob questions (Hell, were all XB360 noobs!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XB360 Noob questions (Hell, were all XB360 noobs!)

Hey guys, after setting it all up and having a blast on it, I have found a few things I'm sure others have found too and hoefully this thread will help both me and others.

* I've got the Premium Pack with the HD cable, however I was surprised to find my LCD screen (Sharp 26" HD Ready) could display 1080i through the Component Sockets. I thought higher HD resolutions like 720p and 1080i were only possible through the DVI / HDMI connection. This brings about two questions, would the VGA Cable give an even better picture than the Component at 720p / 1080i? And is there an XB360 DVI/HDMI cable available. Preferably an official one, not any cheap third party one?

* The Premium Pack includes a Hardrive of 20Gig capacity, why is mine only registering 12 Gig?

* (Hehe, your love this one) In a nutshell, please explain 'Xbox/XB360 Live' to me. (I knew you'd laugh) << Alert, alert, major XB noob here!

*Has anyone taken out the Cover / Service Warranty for ?60 on their XB360 from the leaflet thats in the box. I bought mine from Virgin that offers no cover, but I'm guessing places like Comet, Currys, Dixon offer their own cover?

*Havent experienced any Overheating problems so far, my console is in an enclosed cabinet, however judging by the Demo Unit Stands where the console is encased in a thick plastic shell. I'm guessing the console has quite a high max temperature level?

Hope you all can help and hope the replies will help others.

M.

Originally posted by neoglow
    Hey guys, after setting it all up and having a blast on it, I have found a few things I'm sure others have found too and hoefully this thread will help both me and others.

* I've got the Premium Pack with the HD cable, however I was surprised to find my LCD screen (Sharp 26" HD Ready) could display 1080i through the Component Sockets. I thought higher HD resolutions like 720p and 1080i were only possible through the DVI / HDMI connection. This brings about two questions, would the VGA Cable give an even better picture than the Component at 720p / 1080i? And is there an XB360 DVI/HDMI cable available. Preferably an official one, not any cheap third party one?

* The Premium Pack includes a Hardrive of 20Gig capacity, why is mine only registering 12 Gig?

* (Hehe, your love this one) In a nutshell, please explain 'Xbox/XB360 Live' to me. (I knew you'd laugh) << Alert, alert, major XB noob here!

*Has anyone taken out the Cover / Service Warranty for ?60 on their XB360 from the leaflet thats in the box. I bought mine from Virgin that offers no cover, but I'm guessing places like Comet, Currys, Dixon offer their own cover?

*Havent experienced any Overheating problems so far, my console is in an enclosed cabinet, however judging by the Demo Unit Stands where the console is encased in a thick plastic shell. I'm guessing the console has quite a high max temperature level?

M.

You can delete the all the crap off it that you get free like the video clips and things.

I even know that and I don't even have a Xbox 360

Comment

Originally posted by neoglow

M.
      1) Well, it's best to select the resolution which closest matches that of your set, whatever that is, which is more likely 720p. Not to mention the progressive nature of 720p is another plus. Use whichever you prefer though.
      VGA is superior on paper, though not enough to really matter. The VGA cable does give more resolution options though.
      No DVI/HDMI cable yet.

2) Some of it is taken by the built-in trailers and music, which you can delete. Some of it is allocated for game use. It's also not 20GB is real terms anyway, probably something more like 18GB, because they (along with all HDD manufacturers) take 1MB as 1000k, when it's actually 1024k as far as a computer is concerned. That's a gross oversimplification, but serves the purpose.
      It's a real con, but it's just how things are in the HDD market.

3) It's everything, the online gaming, the marketplace, the chat, the entire network.

4)Nah.

5) Mine has not even gotten too warm. If you just take sensible precautions, keep a nice amount of space for ventilation and heat dispersion, for both the machine and the PSU, it will be fine. Treat it more like a PC than a NES or something.
      Last edited by sj33; 03-12-2005, 18:56.

Comment

7GB are used for the system itself, 1 gig is used for the trailers and stuff.

Comment

First thing I did was delete the 2 french HD videos, that cleared up a gig!

Comment

Does anybody know the sources of the music the Ingame player gets it's information from? Of the 3 options, the top one is always right (track name) but the second 2 vary, sometimes I'll fill in all the info in the music section yet it will come up with incorrect info ingame. Small but annoying, well to me anyway!

Comment

I'm guessing its track name , artist , album?

Comment

Working...
              X