Halo problems via 360 VGA & Component

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Halo problems via 360 VGA & Component

Just tried playing Halo, with VGA plugged in it comes up with "can't display game at this resolution". Whatever res you change it to this is displayed. (I had the same problem with Halo2, but only when trying to download the update)
    If you have component plugged in, it'll only play in a 4:3 ratio - I thought they had enabled widescreen for it? Also component reads at 50hz when I press info on my Samsung, and I stated elsewhere I think it's playing at 60hz as the game stutters as per PAL60 & UK Halo.
    Anybody got any fixes/workarounds for VGA?
    Last edited by bignige; 04-12-2005, 12:27.

I can only hazard a guess that PAL Halo must be running at 50Hz after all (the stuttering could be caused by the emulation), which most VGA monitors do not support.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33
      I can only hazard a guess that PAL Halo must be running at 50Hz after all (the stuttering could be caused by the emulation), which most VGA monitors do not support.
      Possibly, although Halo2 dosen't stutter playing via component or VGA

Comment

the original pal halo was bugged, it didnt run properly at 60hz, you could do it but it was stuttery or something, 50hz was fine though, its optimised properly for it and it runs plenty well.

Comment

Originally posted by Freddo
          the original pal halo was bugged, it didnt run properly at 60hz, you could do it but it was stuttery or something, 50hz was fine though, its optimised properly for it and it runs plenty well.
          Not on the 360 it don't. Using component it stutters & will only display 4:3, and using VGA won't give a picture. Haven't tried RGB, but at least you get the option of selecting 50hz or 60hz.

Comment

Originally posted by bignige
            Just tried playing Halo, with VGA plugged in it comes up with "can't display game at this resolution". Whatever res you change it to this is displayed. (I had the same problem with Halo2, but only when trying to download the update)
            If you have component plugged in, it'll only play in a 4:3 ratio - I thought they had enabled widescreen for it? Also component reads at 50hz when I press info on my Samsung, and I stated elsewhere I think it's playing at 60hz as the game stutters as per PAL60 & UK Halo.
            Anybody got any fixes/workarounds for VGA?
            Try this, turn off your xbox and switch the switch on the cable to TV, then go to the menu and change it to 50hz. switch it all off and back to HDTV and then try it. Last night when I tried halo 2 it seemed mega mega slow and I realised that I'd left it in 50hz from when I was monkeying around, it must pick up on this and do something weird.

Comment

I wouldn't be suprised if it doesn't work. As Freddo said, the original PAL release Halo is a complete bodge-job when it comes to timing and refresh rates. I remember Bungie apologising for it.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris
                Try this, turn off your xbox and switch the switch on the cable to TV, then go to the menu and change it to 50hz. switch it all off and back to HDTV and then try it. Last night when I tried halo 2 it seemed mega mega slow and I realised that I'd left it in 50hz from when I was monkeying around, it must pick up on this and do something weird.
                I didn't touch any of the original settings, but will give it a go later.
                Halo plays through component, but at 4:3, It just won't give an image using VGA. Didn't bungies site say both would be in widescreen?
                Halo 2 works fine with VGA after downloading the updates, maps etc via component, then swtich to VGA.

Comment

I have US Halo 1 and it plays great on 360 using VGA.

Comment

Everything points to the fact that Halo is 50Hz and the VGA cable doesn't like it. Explains why it works through Component, explains why the NTSC game works.

Comment

Working...
                    X